Practising versus performing

What's Hot
stufisherstufisher Frets: 861
Hadn't seen this before ... I think it's interesting.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMF4MAfa4/

To that point, I wonder which pro-musicians adopt Zappa's approach these days?

And maybe even more interesting is the question  ... who amongst tFB community does this?  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    He's wonderfully articulate, and I love how he captures the excitement of improvisation.

He's a bit dismissive of the well-crafted solo though, which is an artform in its own right.

I think public taste has moved away from improv, certainly in the mainstream. When I perform original material, any solos are pretty much composed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm with him. Of course, it depends on the style your band plays. If you have skilled and talented musicians in the band, the mixture of two is way to go for me.

I think public taste has moved away from improv, certainly in the mainstream.

And this is true too, if you're in the mainstream and have all kinds of pressures.

Of course, practising and improvising aren't mutually exclusive.

• blobbblobb Frets: 3006
    Yes me, I do that. I could never play the same thing twice. But I love Frank, he says that but we all know every sound you have ever heard from him has been meticulously scrutinised in his studio and edited, overdubbed and replaced with snippets from other shows or recordings to sound exactly how he wants you to hear it.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love that, but then I am a jazzer so...
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited December 2022
    Practising versus performing?

I practise for performing. Of course this is not a common ideology for some bandmates that I have worked with.