In praise of the Nobels ODR-1 overdrive

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7752
edited September 2014 in FX
I've had one of these for almost a year now and even though the honeymoon period is long gone, I still use it all the time because it just sounds fucking ace. Today I was playing my dad's blue flower Telecaster with it and was blown away by how great it sounded. It's good with humbuckers, but it seems to work best with single-coils. Pair it with a good Tele and you'll be in tonal heaven. Kept me playing for about four hours. With the bridge pickup it sounds amazing for the kind of grunge and alt-rock I like playing, and can go heavier too. And with the aforementioned Tele's neck pickup I was able to totally nail the Another Brick in the Wall lead sound. And it's also a favourite of country players, Jerry Donahue being a notable user.

It's green and has three knobs, but it's not your normal TS-style overdrive by a long shot. The way I have it set, with the Spectrum control at about 1 o'clock and the gain around the same, gives a more scooped sound that is very responsive to dynamics, and also responds really, really well to being stacked with a more middly overdrive with the gain set lower and the volume higher. You've gotta try one.

I don't have any video clips of my own sadly, but I'd like to get some up with the Tele soon. For now, here's PGS Andy.

Oh, and the best thing? I got mine for 55 quid. New.

I'll be a dick and even post a link if anyone fancies an impulse purchase. If you have a Tele though, you owe it to yourself.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    Their chorus pedal is about £18 on Thomann. 

I assume it's probably shite?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752

Quite possibly, never tried anything else by them.

Don't judge the ODR-1 based on that though, it's excellent.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17918
    tFB Trader
    It sounds good from the demo. 

If one pops up on the classifieds I might grab it. 

Is the spectrum just a fancy name for a tone control?
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited September 2014
    It sounds good from the demo. 

If one pops up on the classifieds I might grab it. 

Is the spectrum just a fancy name for a tone control?
    It affects more of the EQ (not just top-end frequencies) but also affects gain - at 9 o'clock the tone is more middly but with a touch less gain. You have to balance the gain and spectrum controls a little, but I didn't find it very difficult to dial in.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Great rhythm overdrive - nice bite, lots of gain on tap, too.

Never tried their chorus but the Nobels tremolo is pretty good too.
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 404
    JDE said: Never tried their chorus but the Nobels tremolo is pretty good too. Trem is amazing: the blend control (the option to have the trem effect the bass only) is worth its weight in gold.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Too much for my simple fingers! Anything more than 3 knobs on a trem is difficult for me, but I lol when I see TR2's (actually still very good, IMO) going for 70 quid used on eBay and the Nobels climb the dizzy heights of £30.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    +1 for the ODR. I've had one on my board for a few years now. 

They are very versatile, although I use mine mostly to add zing to clean sounds and with the same setting it really kicks my Boss SD-1 into feedback heaven. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3353
    I liked the pedal when we heard it last week and liked the controls and the fact you had more options than a TS. Yep, the originals (don't know if they differ to current ones) are the Nashville studio guitarists favourite OD. I believe the Rockett Chicken Soup is based on it but costs twice as much
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2404
    Nice pedal. Not my absolute favourite, though I can see why people like them.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    edited September 2014

It would say it would be worth a punt. I have owned the Dt1, ODR-1, ODR-S, the tremolo and a compressor from nobels and all have been fantastic, especially at the price point. 

not to mention you cant rally go wrong at £18
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    I have an ODR-1 and it's flipping brilliant, at ANY price.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

^ In that case I'll sell you mine to have as a spare for £1,000,000.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I tried to poach this from an old bassist years ago! Sadly no joy.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    Huh, I really didn't like it on bass. Bit grainy-sounding. Admittedly, I'm pretty new to bass so I was probably doing something silly. :))
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    the pgs demo makes it sound perfect for Foo Fighters stuff, I can't not hear them in the pedal now