58 Korina V (style ) wiring.

What's Hot
I had this thing wired up using older pots, basically anything that would fit, and it needed an upgrade.
The switching and tone seemed to be working ok, but one of the vols was a bit intermittent, so I ordered some new pots from Allegree.
I wasn't 100% sure which pots I needed for the vols, audio or linear taper, so I ordered 2 of each and a new paper in oil cap for the tone.
The plan was to take my time with it over Xmas, and to do as neat a job as possible, and I had to make a new pickguard which was basically 2 long straight cuts on a piece of 3mm white plastic, which I wasn't looking forward to.
Anyhoo, I started the pickguard yesterday, and amazingly I made a neat job of it, so today I had a go drilling for the pots and switch which also went smoothly.
I don'y have shielding tape right now, but I got a bit carried away and simply copied my existing wiring ( working ), and used the 2 new (assumed ) linear pots for the vols.
The other pots were marked A for audio, I guess, but the 2 I used had no marking other than 'Six string supplies 500k' so I assumed these were in fact 'linear' .
I tried to find some correct wiring diagram for this layout, 2 vols, 1 tone, 3 way switch, which was surprisingly difficult, and the ones I did find didn't seem to match what I had working, so I went with a direct copy of what I already had.
Strangely, it all seems to work, except I am finding the tone is slightly underwhelming, with a big drop at the end, so maybe I got the pots the wrong way round??
I quite like the sweep of the pots I used for the vols, and might have to swap out the tone pot for the one in my original wiring, a shame really, but the whole point of the exercise was to make it sound as good as I can get it.
I'll have to post a couple of pics to show what I have done, but any pointers to a good diagram would be nice.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    You need a Log pot for tone, or all the sweep happens near the bottom end. Linear can work well for volume, especially if you use them for actual *volume* controls rather than 'gain' for cleaning up an overdriven amp. If you only have two of each I would use an Audio/Log for the tone and linears for the volume, anyway.

This is the correct wiring for a V - obviously this is the '67-style control layout, but the '58-style is the same with different physical component positions.

Many other diagrams out there reverse the pickup and switch connections on the volume pots, which will not give you good tapers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    You can use log or linear for volume. It will affect how quickly volume drops so it's really down to your taste. Tone pots really need to be log.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    Thanks all, @ICBM that's pretty much how I have it, except pickups are grounded to their own pots, and I 'may' have to change my tone pot,  A=audio, B= linear ( Log ) right??, or am I completely wrong here, the pots I have aren't marked 'B', but 2 are marked 'A'', and I ordered 2 of each.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    A is Audio, or Log - actually 30% log rather than true logarithmic, which is 10%. B is linear.

If you have A and B, use A for the tone control. It would be very unusual for a pot to not be marked at all, since it's quite important for many applications.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15275
    andy_k said:
    'Six string supplies 500k''.
    Those are what is now listed as Old Stock. Value tolerance +/- 10%.

The more recent Premium version is stamped SSSP and has a claimed tolerance of +/- 8%.

Both are manufactured by CTS - whose logo appears on the upper side of the chassis.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    edited December 2022
    Thanks again, I actually ordered 2 of each, and what came were marked 2 as A500k, and 2 that had 'six string supplies' stamped- but I could not see the A or B designation, I assumed ( correctly- i hope ) that A500k must be the Audio taper, and that is what I used as my tone, then I used the others as my vols, again assuming it would be the B part of my order, I'll have to check the remaining one for the actual code that is stamped, but I couldn't see either A or B.
    I'm going to be having another go at tidying things up next weekend when I will be fully shielding the cavity and back of the plate anyway, adding some more washers, and I was one length of vintage style wire short, which annoyed me.
    It works, I'll get used to it.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2462
    @andy_k If you've got a multimeter you should be able to check them- just put the multimeter's connectors to the input (left-hand one as you're looking at it from underneath) and middle lugs of the volume pot (taking care the multimeter's connectors don't touch each other!) and then turn the pot from full up to zero (or vice-versa). If you're getting ~50% of the resistance of the pot at roughly half-way it's linear. (If it's a multimeter where you have to set the range, set it to "2M", that's usually the closest one on most multimeters I've seen... basically anything which is a bit above the rating of the pot value (since you need to allow for tolerances, they can be up to 20% above the stated value).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 430
    edited December 2022 tFB Trader
    Apologies only just seen this.

If they are stamped "six string supplies" they are 25% log taper

If they are stamped "SSSP" they are 15% log taper.

The 25% are not great for tone controls....hence why they are now "old stock"   (that was an expensive mistake)
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom