Best source for pedal parts?

What's Hot
I need a 1N4148 protection diode. It's Only a small purchase have but there'll be more to come. Where do you recommend getting parts from? Helping out small and local businesses is my preference. 
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I am probably inefficient but I tend to buy small quantities from individuals on eBay. Searching 1n418 on eBay returns loads of options for 10x for a couple of quid with free postage.

I have accounts with some of the traditional component sellers like RS, Farnell, Rapid Online bit tend to only order from them when doing large batches of stuff where wading through the hundreds of options for a diode is worth the time and the order will likely be above their minimum order thresholds.

They also don't tend to stock more esoteric guitar/music equipment related parts any more.

I have bookmarked  https://bitsboxuk.com/ for possible future use as they do have pedal specific parts as well, I've never used them though

Cheers,

Neil
  • I need a 1N4148 protection diode. It's Only a small purchase have but there'll be more to come. Where do you recommend getting parts from? Helping out small and local businesses is my preference. 
    Bitsbox.co.uk for me, however I have lots of 1n4148s pm me an address I'll post 10.
  • I use various sites depending on what I’m after.  For general electronics bits:
    switch electronics 
    bitsbox
    , for pedal specifics:
    fuzzdog 
    for amp specifics:
    modulus amps

Also ebay 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    A good source of free electronics is cannibalising old unwanted or broken electronics. Old PC speakers, wall warts, radios etc all contain many of the parts you need to make simple pedals. Plus when you unsolder the components you gain soldering skills. Even the wire in old devices can be re used as hook up wire in a new project. 

I built a Tubescreamer once by scavenging parts from a broker PC speaker (opamp resistors, caps) , a tablet power supply (diodes)  and a couple of parts of an old mixing desk (transistors)

Get yourself a basic meter and you can test diodes, transistors etc before you reuse them. You can make a lot of mistakes and it won't cost you any money. 
    Stick to older stuff for cannibalising parts as you want through hole components not surface mount for project building. 

For all new build stuff for customers I use Mouser, CPC and RS as the pedal builder sites are more expensive 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Danny1969 said:
    A good source of free electronics is cannibalising old unwanted or broken electronics. Old PC speakers, wall warts, radios etc all contain many of the parts you need to make simple pedals.
    I have an ancient Sony clock radio which I got as a Christmas present in my first year at university in 1985, been waiting for it die for years because apparently there’s likely to be a couple of JRC4558 chips in it!
  • I have to say that the reples to this post are so good that I recommend it be pinned or sticky or whatever the correct term is.

Bit bloody good you lot.

@tanihhiavlt I accept your kind offer and will pm my address.  Sincere thanks.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom