Spirit - 12 dreams of doctor sardonicus

relic245relic245 Frets: 988
must be 35 years since I last listened. It just popped into my head so I put it on.

what an album and the lyrics are just as relevant as they have always been.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 3137
    Great album <3
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3923
    That’s a blast from the past I remember listening to it at school <readacted> years ago. Must dig it out again. Thanks for the reminder
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19516
    Cool choice, I remember it fondly, back when it was a new release...  B)
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Probably the best LP by the original line up and as you say, still relevant.....52 years later.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Classic album! I had a really big Spirit phase when I was at Art college back in 82-85. I tracked down as many albums on vinyl as I could find, which was very hard during non-internet days.

My faves in no particular order were Spirit of 76 (double) Future games (weird bits and pieces all VERY short) and The Adventures of Kaptain Kopter & Commander Cassidy in Potato Land. 12 Dreams I haven't played for so long I barely recall it now, I must hear it again!

I've recently found a shop selling a 
    Kaptain Kopter T-shirt. I'll be getting one!

I was lucky enough to catch him live early 80s, it was one of those thrilling gigs seeing a 'hero' of mine (at the time). Once again, no internet meant that you never saw videos of people playing or anything like that. At best you got an interview in a music mag. The gig only cost £1.50!

A sad ending for Randy California, he died in the sea saving his son.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6185
    Fabulous album, been a favourite for 40 years and it never sounds dated. I discovered Randy California via Peter Hammill featuring him on a track on The Silent Corner. Still relevant....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsTK2LHZKPQ
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 796
    Must give it a whirl. I re-listened to mechanical world & topango windows recently after many yrs ; timeless classics.
  • I looked him up on Wikipedia and discovered Randy California got his name from Jimi Hendrix (while he was playing with Hendrix in Jimmy James and the Blue Flames, there were two Randies in the group. The other one was Randy Texas, who didn't go on to such fame). 

I was very struck by their appearance on the 1981 Whistle Test Pick of the Year - I knew they were From The 60s and he seemed ancient and venerable. He was thirty. At the time I was very impressed by his Strat with humbuckers in, but I have no idea why now. I must have been very impressionable and easily pleased. 

Ed Cassidy, of course, was ancient and venerable, having been born in 1923. 

(Is he officially the oldest rock musician?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjzUr1SYPZA
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4779
    Bought new the week it came out.  Fecking hated it and still do.  Pretentious twaddle IMO.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.