The Cure - live

What's Hot
ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2043
I went to see The Cure on Friday in Belfast - for various reasons I'd never seen them before. Had to cancel a trip to Hyde Park a few years ago and timing was never right when they played Dublin.  

Straight into my top 3 gigs. Absolutely epic. 2 hours 45 mins of excellence. 

Burn, A Forest, Disintegration, Shake Dog Shake completely superb. Lovesong and Lullaby and Push unforgettable. Two encores, the last of which comprised 8 tracks, mainly "the hits". A euphoric ending with Boys Don't Cry. 

New album tracks sounded great too, particularly Endsong - another epic that closed the gig pre-encores. 

Robert Smith, eh. He may look ridiculous but he's approaching genius status for me. 
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Glad they did you proud. I think they do a great job of carrying their legacy forwards with musical dignity.

I'm a fan of the stupidly talented Mr Smith. When "Killing An Arab" came out and I learned how old he was I was quite upset for a while that he'd done so much and I'd done so little. A couple of times in the last decade or so, I've been the object of ageism when talking to people about joining their band. At some point the question "So how old are you?" appears and it sounds like a qualify-out question. My answer is always the same. "The same age as Robert Smith". If they can't respond positively to that, then they've qualified themselves out for me and I make the decision to walk. :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7439
    How were the audience? I took my Dad as a Christmas present one year and we got so wound up he ended up swearing. Up and down to the bar constantly all night, talking through it all, then Close To You comes on and you hear WAHEYYY! and suddenly they're stood up paying attention.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2043
    I was in a corporate box (thankfully, no way my back could take 3 hours standing / bouncing these days) - but surrounded by fans - and from what I could see, the Audience was great - packed with 11,000 fans and atmosphere superb throughout. Most gigs Ive been to over recent years I felt the same as your dad - the chatting / constant stream to the bar etc. is wearing. 

It was as good as Ive been to for a long time. Smith took an age to leave the stage - seemed genuinely overwhelmed by the crowd reaction throughout.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3355
    Funnily enough, I was looking up Thin Lizzy covers tonight and this surprise one came up. 
    Always loved The Cure 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw them in Madrid and Leeds - superb both nights and how good is Robert Smith at singing still. I couldn’t see anyone else helping out on the vocals and to keep going for approaching 3 hours was amazing. He looked genuinely emotional too at times so good to see it still means a lot after 40 odd years. A thumbs up from me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom