Burton weedon

What's Hot
The Beatles said they learned guitar from Burt Weedons "play in a day", how good was Burt, technically, I only glimpsed him once on " wheel tappers and shunters" back in the day, a lot of you admitily, won't know this show.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3209
    I remember in the 70's at Christmas he'd usually have an album out (probably on K-Tel!). Seem to remember him being quite popular back then. He was on This Is Your Life!

Bert's guitar course. Presented clear and in a pleasant, informative manner.

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19516
    In his heyday, it was too early for me to be influenced much by his playing, but later found he did some very cool Link Wray type stuff.
    I'll bet that Quentin Tarantino loves him  ;)

• He had a top ten hit (Guitar Boogie or something like that) so wasn't only known to plank spankers. 
    I don't remember him on Wheeltappers but I do just about remember the show. I was partly raised by my grandmother and she loved it although we didn't have it on at home. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12530
    I have a vague memory of him being on children’s tv? Early 60s, maybe? Similar era to Muriel Young and Pussycat Willum, might’ve even been the same show. I had Play in a Day given to me with my first guitar, I would’ve been about 11. It took me weeks just to master one chord: play in a day my arse.  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    Can't fault him. I bought Play in a Day over 20 years ago. I'm already on page 8.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23762
    As a kid I used to look at Play in a Day and wonder if I should take the title literally... hmm, I don't really want to invest in this, but still, one day.... but how come it's such a skinny little book?  

One of those things where I'd think wow, if what they're saying is true, I really should get in on the secret.... like X-Ray specs or the Charles Atlas bodybuilding course ("the insult which made a man out of Mac").

I never bought the book.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14855
    tFB Trader
    DaveJames said:
    The Beatles said they learned guitar from Burt Weedons "play in a day", how good was Burt, technically, I only glimpsed him once on " wheel tappers and shunters" back in the day, a lot of you admitily, won't know this show.
    I recall that show - from the early mid 70's - 'We've had a committee meeting and the members have decided etc etc' from the mad man wearing the brown coat/tunic 

Burt was a good professional competent act - Kind of more cabaret act of the day, were you watched a live show with chicken and chips in a basket in the likes of Batley Variety Club  - But in many what was good then compared with today is poles apart - Guthrie Govan and the likes v Burt - Yet the 48/96 notes to the bar players don't appeal to me 
  • I've got an album on vinyl I got with some others from a charity shop. Don't think I've ever listened to it.
  • guitars4you said:
    ...Yet the 48/96 notes to the bar players don't appeal to me 
    Specifically the shredding in 3/4 time? ;)
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 356
    The compere was usually Colin Crompton.  He used to start the introductions by settling the crowd with “Thank you, please” which always used to crease me up.  Translation of this is: the “Thank you” is an abbreviation of “Quiet please and settle down, thank you”, and the “Please” is a polite emphasis on the “Thank you”.
    You’re welcome.