Steve Lukather !!! The Interview. Sunset Sound Roundtable [YouTube]

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
“ From session guitar player, to forming Toto, to winning multiple Grammys, to touring the globe with Ringo Starr.... Steve Luther has done it all, but a big part of his history takes place at Sunset Sound Recorders in Hollywood, CA.
Steve returns to studio 2 to sit down with host Drew Dempsey, Sunset Sound owner Paul Camarata & long time friend/collaborator recording engineer Niko Bolas to discuss his days playing on 1000s of records a year with legendary producers like David Foster, to tracking Africa in studio 2 with Toto. It all happened here and sit back and listen to these amazing stories that only took place here at Sunset Sound.”

https://youtu.be/2Bw03V7kMiU

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1440
    He's never anything but entertaining when I've heard him speak. There's no filter - he just tells it like it is.

And he and his co-workers really were short changed when it comes to writing credits back then. As he tells it - you're given a chart of G, Em, Am and D... and you have to rustle a part up..whatchya gonna do?!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Have only heard the first 30 mins or so but really love the story of Steve moving his amp into a different room at the studio during his lunch breaks to play guitar for other artists songs. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I watched the whole lot, a very entertaining watch. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3353
    edited December 2022
    Watched it, too, at dindude's recommendation, plus I'd watched the Prince excerpt first and knew I had to watch the rest

He has so many stories to tell and so funny.

No spoilers but his Berklee story ha ha and I love the way Niko Bolas laughs. It reminds me of the late Ray Liotta in Goodfellas.

Legend!
     @welshboyo @Bellycaster - if not yet seen, definitely one to watch
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1112
    edited December 2022
    I think that Lukather is the type of guitarist I would have liked to have been. Playing in the golden era of actual record sales, playing in a huge band, but also playing on every big name pop artists records. Imagine Lionel Richie or Michael Jackson calling you in and you have 16 or 24 bars and you come up with these melodic solos that serve the song. Also living the life in LA at the time couldn't have been bad. He sounds like a good guy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1405
    The book is equally good
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmark said:
    The book is equally good
    Vol 2 is in the works I believe. 
    His son just married the daughter of one of the members of Journey.
    Tough wedding gig ;)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • This is another great watch...

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    Saw him two weeks ago at G4 in Vegas (and met him). The guy is hilarious; he recounted loads of stories about his session work, and comes out with the most amazing anecdotes and phrases ("If there was a lump of coal up my ass, it would've been a diamond in 5 minutes").