Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Slash

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    He's a great player but he doesn't play the sort of music I listen to so in that regard he isn't really on my radar, but for the solo on SCOM alone, (top) hats off.

Total rock icon though. No question.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DaveJames said:
    I can't decide if Slash is overated....
    I’ll nibble on some light trolling. We had this discussion closed off in 1987. No
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2450
    He’s one of my biggest influences and a strong reason why I picked up a guitar. Bloody love him!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    edited December 2022

Well I would have been under 16 when I first heard appetite and I did get right into gnr for a while (just the music, not the leather trousers), but now I feel pretty much exactly how you do. 
    I still like gnr but have never really got into Slash's post gnr stuff. 
    He's an amazing player but it just doesn't quite have the same swagger that the original band had.
    @LastMantra - with you there. I think Guns were one of those bands who were never cut out for longevity - I mean, imagine that lot getting a million dollars each back in '86. You could have written the script (and I suspect Geffen probably knew it).

What we did get though was Appetite which remains, to this day, my favourite album. I listen to a lot of different music, but always go back to it.

It was the interplay between the whole band - angry, skint, living in a storage lockup. The rhythm of Adler and McKagan had that swing, the twin guitars with *those* riffs, Rose's paranoid wail. It was lightning in a bottle really.

Slash's post-Guns stuff should be great but somehow it never adds up for me. I love his work, always will, and he surrounds himself with A1 musos but the whole never seems to have that *thing* that Appetite did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Slash is the reason I play guitar. AFD is an utter masterpiece, and the UYI records shaped my teens, to the point that I felt Id lived a lie for last 30 years when I found out its mostly a Korina Explorer, not Les Pauls. Same with his Jackson on AFD. My favourite solo is nightrain, so to know thats a Floyd loaded Jackson  :s

Ive also owned at least 3 of his Sig Les Pauls, and am currently waiting on a little bargain treat to myself J45 due this morning. At £570 brand new, I couldnt not.  
  • GoFish said:
    He is probably "overrated" by younger people or the generally clueless as he forms a go-to cartoony image of what a rock guitarist is
    My 15 year old son thinks Slash is great. 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    He was one of my heroes when I first started playing him and Kirk Hammett. 
    I would wager, that 90% of people would know who Slash is compared to say Al Di meola. Who they probably think is the latest man City transfer.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    DrJazzTap said:
    I would wager, that 90% of people would know who Slash is compared to say Al Di meola. Who they probably think is the latest man City transfer.
    Probably not as much as 90%.  I was talking to a colleague in work today and she'd never heard of Enter Sandman by Metallica.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2179
    Philly_Q said:
    DrJazzTap said:
    Probably not as much as 90%.  I was talking to a colleague in work today and she'd never heard of Enter Sandman by Metallica.
    Yeah I suppose I'm thinking when I was a yoof. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.