Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Theme tunes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    That Professions cover is pretty darned cool!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    Years ago I saw my best mates then band open a pub gig with The Flumps theme tune, it went down pretty well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My mate used to play something I think was ren and stimpy.
    They did the bit from blackadder (2?) in one of the guitar magazines once.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    Roobarb.

Some of the incidental music used for Vision On was pretty out there and cool.

Old Ned (the theme from Steptoe & Son) would work well in a Reggae stylee.

The White Horses theme song was used for the BBC Book Of The Week presentation of Believe Me by Eddie Izzard. (The song is referred to in the book and, simultaneously, evokes the era.) 

The other evocative theme tune from that time is the French serialisation of Robinson Crusoe.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Matt Berry's band did sort of jazzy versions of theme choons, quite cool. My favourite is probably their take on Sorry! 

I mentioned Drag Racer on here recently, having watched a bunch of versions on YouTube it’s reassuring to discover that I’m not the only one who doesn’t get it spot on. 

We used to do Guns of Navarone in The Damnbusters, the melody was played by sax but I’d do the Bonanza riff for a guitar solo. Not sure many people got it though. 

I gave up very early on trying to play this but it is rather lovely (couldn’t spot a studio recording on YouTube). The melody is harmonised double stops that involve places my fingers don’t seem to go to. 

https://youtu.be/MYDkQEl-PyA
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ...oh one of the other 'guitary' ones is King of the Hill. There is longer version by the original band as well (The Refreshments). And,err, 3rd Rock From the Sun was a neat rockabilly/surf kind of thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1565
    My Lovely Horse and Words of Love by the Divine Comedy would make for a fun mashup.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11444
    It's been mentioned above, the Joe 90 theme  is a cracker. You could do that in various styles. 

I used to love the theme from Robinson Crusoe when I was growing up.

Some of the 60s/70s cartoon themes, like Banans Splits (I know The Dickies did a version of it) are worth a listen. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    I play Drag Racer a lot, it's great fun.
    I learned Airwolf years ago and that comes out every now and then. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    The Munsters and The Addams Family are fun to play. Never tried them in a band setting though.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2863
    When I gigged as a Spanish/classical guitarist for functions I played a whole bunch of theme tunes - eg. The Titanic, Deerhunter/Cavatina, theme from MASH... oddest request of all was The Good, The Bad and the Ugly, for someone's wedding! Best man and ushers all doing the whistling and Aarh-eeh-ah-eeh-arrggh! vocal parts.  Bizarre.

The MASH arrangement is superb, from an ancient copy of Total Guitar. I met the guy who arranged it a few years back at a gig. Well known session player from the Bristol area. Oddly none of my wedding clients ever requested 'Suicide is Painless' as their theme though...
    I also play Chi Mai (the David Lloyd George theme), Schindler’s List, and Gabriel’s Oboe

years ago I used to play Arthur’s Theme I seem to recall
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
    Anyone Can Play Guitar did a lesson on how to play the Snooker theme, or Drag Racer to give it its proper name. Complete with a bit of history of the tune.

https://youtu.be/1bnilpkuItw
    I learnt it by watching Adrian’s channel  <3
  • Adrian has a Joe 90 lesson as well.
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1555
    The Wombles!
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 755
    edited December 2022
    Adrian did The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly on his ACPG channel also... great fun. 

I quite like the Link Wray Batman Theme too...