Competitive sport parents

What's Hot
Our two kids started cross country after school on Wednesday and were entered into their first race on Saturday! They haven't ran before and whilst both being healthy the havent built up their stamina levels yet, but they seemed to enjoy it either way.

Some of the parents at the race were frankly embarrasing, screaming at their kids to run faster. One said to his kids (who both came in the top 20 out of 100 "that was crap, you wernt trying blah blah blah" really loud so everybody could hear. The kids looked so gutted and embarrased.

I'm all for encouraging kids to stretch their limits but bloody hell, some parents are bloody mad.

"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    edited September 2014
    My ten year old plays football at a decent level.   Our team is fortunately blessed with a set of parents (bar one!) who are totally supportive, non-gobby and completely fair.
    However, some of the opposing teams parents are, quite frankly a disgrace.  It's rare to hear any swearing but one mother last season was actually chanting "Who are ya" at the other team!  Shameful.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4780
    edited September 2014
    RobDavies;357762" said:
    It's rare to hear any swearing but one mother last season was actually chanting "Who are ya" at the other team!  Shameful.
    I believe the correct reply is "Who, who? Who, who?"

Did she do other songs by The Who? Let's See Action, Can You See The Real Me, and of course that seminal classic, You're So Shit It's Unbelievable?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6944
    edited September 2014
    Something got me thinking this morning...on the way to our regular (leisure) family swim this morning I noticed that well before 10am one of those kids personal tutor places was open.

Kids need to be kids and 5 days a week at school with homework is more than enough IMO. This smacks of competitive parents to me as well?

Back on sport I'm all for allowing competing and giving them opportunities but any parent that can speak to a child in the manner you describe should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

How about the other type of competitive dad!?

Previously known as stevebrum
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31262
    edited September 2014
    I have experienced this at the highest level

A former England Rugby defence coach, who now coaches a premiership side, who will remain nameless but is a car brand too, has a son who is a decent fly half, who will also remain nameless, but may have already got a couple of test caps.

Said Coach has become the world's worst rugby Dad. Truly. Using random names as an example

'My George (example name) is better the fookin' Owen. He played 10 in the juniors and fookin' Owen (example name) is playing for fookin' England just because of his Dad, Andy (example name)'

"Fookin' Owen is a fookin' centre, not a fly half. My George is a fly half..."

"My George (example name) should be playing for fookin' England, should my George..."

And I'm not kidding.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15916
    edited September 2014

that Renault is a right cock IMO.

mind you, young megane was on fire yesterday.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

A former England Rugby defence coach, who now coaches a premiership side, who will remain nameless but is a car brand too, 

I Googled Austin Healey, but he only has daughters....
  • RobDavies said:
    Gassage said:

A former England Rugby defence coach, who now coaches a premiership side, who will remain nameless but is a car brand too, 

I Googled Austin Healey, but he only has daughters.... and it's the wrong code, right?

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    edited September 2014
    Did he look a bit like this chap, who, coincidentally has two rugby playing sons, was an England defence coach, and has the surname of a popular make of car ?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31262
    edited September 2014
    Couldn't possibly comment.

(but I did give you a wisdom)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Our two kids started cross country after school on Wednesday and were entered into their first race on Saturday! They haven't ran before and whilst both being healthy the havent built up their stamina levels yet, but they seemed to enjoy it either way.

Some of the parents at the race were frankly embarrasing, screaming at their kids to run faster. One said to his kids (who both came in the top 20 out of 100 "that was crap, you wernt trying blah blah blah" really loud so everybody could hear. The kids looked so gutted and embarrased.

I'm all for encouraging kids to stretch their limits but bloody hell, some parents are bloody mad.

That man clearly is a c*n&. Could you deck the worm for me next time you see him? 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I would have walked up to the children and told them they did very well. It would piss him off and give them a boost.
    My V key is broken
  • The thing for me about competitive parents is that the vast majority of them are pushing and expecting their kids to achieve heights that they didn't.

So hang on.....

Dear Mr Pushy Dad. You didn't manage to get good at these things. You settled for average. You used your time in other ways. So how come your kid has to be a world beater? How come what was ok for you isn't ok for your kid?

....and don't try the trite line regarding you wanting better for your kids than you had. How about you attain the same high performance levels of humility, self-control, positive criticism, support and enthusiasm for your kids' enjoyment as you're expecting from their sports prowess?
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I've realised as my youngest has got to 4 and a half, and turned utterly nutters butters, that he should have been doing the loopy thing when he was three - not least of all because I could pick him up then - who knows perhaps that's why he did it now.

I reckon if I'd given my eldest a bit more rein at the right time I'd not be paying the price for it now he's 6" 3' and probably able to deadlift me.

Competitive parents are ensuringtheir kids won't compete - successful atheletes from all over the world were asked what their parents said to them and the reply came back "my parents said I love watching you enjoy yourself".

All the stuff the competitive parents are shouting are known as injunctions, like fairytale curses you put on kids - "don't make it" or "you won't make it without me"... a pissed off adult will understand that, but a kid won't - what a kid will do is fail until the parent loses interest then find something else to do.

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    My boss is a coach of an under 12's team. They are not massively competitive but I hear horror stories of parents from other teams in the league. Shameful people!