Sheet Music/Charts for getting a teenage band started

What's Hot
blowinblowin Frets: 7
My son is 15 and a decent 'bedroom' guitar player as well as playing sax in a school big band and studying music GCSE. He has friends on the course who play drums, bass, trumpet, piano and trombone(!) and he's keen to put a band together.

However... it feels like he's a bit unsure about how to start and part of that is not having music to put in front of the group. They're all pretty competent but are all used to playing from a score rather than by ear.

I realise that you can find pretty much anything on Google but I think that the 'anything' bit is the problem – too much choice!

Does anyone have any recommendations for sources of basic sheet music – whether free of paid? I don't know if there's a covers band equivalent of the Real Book, a decent 'Best X songs for Covers Bands', a site or whatever.

Would be great to get him something for Xmas to inspire him. Thanks in advance!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Okay. Having said 'is there a covers band equivalent of the Real Book' I have discovered that a quick Amazon search reveals that yes, there is. In fact there are four. But still interested in other suggestions!

• SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    edited December 2022
    Musescore is a decent resource, and the associated software package is the least ornery score-making application I've tried. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8755
    Sporky said:
    Muses core us a decent resource, and the associated software package is the least ornery score-making application I've tried. 
    Musescore?
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • blowin said:
    My son is 15 and a decent 'bedroom' guitar player as well as playing sax in a school big band and studying music GCSE. He has friends on the course who play drums, bass, trumpet, piano and trombone(!) and he's keen to put a band together.

If that line up doesn’t say ska then nothing does…
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 536
    Musicroom.com can be useful. I would pick 3 or 4 easy songs to get started on.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Thanks folks. The ska point is well made!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24630
    Perfect ska band.

And when you do find sheet music for it - it will almost certainly have been written properly rather than the shite most tab pages put out.

But, for the love of the holy goat, don't let them perform ska with sheet music on stage. They need to learn the tunes properly and give a high energy performance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    Roland said:
    Sporky said:
    Muses core us a decent resource, and the associated software package is the least ornery score-making application I've tried. 
    Musescore?
    Yes. Afro courgette has really been doing a number on my posts recently. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • If and when it comes to chords only then iReal pro is an app (iOS & Android) worth looking at.
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 291
    I have seen some songs on Ultimate Guitar with tracks for various instruments. I suppose accuracy is sometimes less than perfect but may be helpful to help the lads make a start as a band. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3705
    edited December 2022
    +1 Get an ultimate guitar/Tabs HD app premium account..  gets the ‘pro’ score and charts for tonnes of popular tunes. 

Does he have access to software like Sibelius at school?  It will generate scores from midi keyboard input if arranging horn section charts,