best deals on custom laptops?

What's Hot
My laptop is in hard disk failure mode so need to get a new one quickly. Max budget 1.3k need something that will last me a good 5 years or so.

Best websites?
Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wibblewibble Frets: 1115
    Slap in an SSD while you make up your mind? No point rushing a big purchase! :D
  • What will it be used for? Unless it involves any of; Music | Graphics | Gaming - I wouldn't ever consider spending anything like £1.3k
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • Yeah I want to do a bit of recording and gaming plus a bit of 3d CAD work
    Old Is Gold
  • Not really sure - I wouldn't really consider a laptop for any of those use cases - but if you really must, make sure you get a screen with decent resolution. 1680x1050 at a minimum, and very preferably 16:10 ratio. 1080p sucks balls, and 720p is even worse - especially for recording.
    <space for hire>
  • Yeah I don't really have much of choice I wanted a proper pc setup but various things mean that can't really happen unfortunately. And now with this hard disk failure gubbins it's all kinda stressful.
    Old Is Gold
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Another vote for slap an SSD in there and take your time.  You might not even feel the need for an upgrade, the increase in general system speed is really quite stunning.  I was a bit shocked at how quick my old desktop ran as soon as I ditched the magnetic spinny things!
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Can I just say after using pcs and laptop all my life I bought a macbook last year and I it's the most impressive computer I have ever used, really powerful, intuitive, and a joy to use, but then again I have the best of both as I have a windows home built Base unit for gaming and music, if I was to choose between the two I would have to keep the Mac, ssd pci express hard drive, 12nhour battery life, graphics which will actually play my games and a great screen and interface,

I always hated apple for their mobile devices but they know computer better than most and going back had the best gui, etc before windows.

Although saying that I have to agree with some of the comments, you don't need to spent that much 1k will do everything you want, just make sure the processor is Haswell or better.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28098
    If I was spending £1.3k with a need for recording, gaming & CAD work, and a 5yr time horizon, I'd be getting a desktop machine.  And maybe a little tablet for the fun stuff.

5 years is a long time in computer-land, even though the pace of change has slowed a lot as the technologies have matured.  

Laptops are a bugger to upgrade, PCs are easy.  I'd want something that I could easily upgrade with better graphics cards, more disc (etc) if I was going to keep it for 5 years.

£1k for a decent spec PC, and £200-ish for a tablet-type machine for the simpler browsing/email tasks.  There, I've even saved you £100 already.

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Tony has it in a nutshell Laptops have a limited time at the bleeding edge and after a year or so are looking old spec wise.
  • Simpler browsing/email/etc - Chromebook. Brilliant little things...I even do a bit of actual coding work on mine (although it does need an external server to run everything on). Cheap, lightweight and really well-judged in terms of capability.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next breed of Chromebooks with quad- and octo-core CPUs, and 1080p screens. Shouldn't be long now.
    <space for hire>
  • OK, just spotted this:

Fairly monstrous laptop, that - two 128GB SSDs in RAID, 1TB hard drive, 16GB RAM, quad-core i7 CPU and a 1080p display for a grand.
    <space for hire>
  • Looks interesting cheers, I have to say don't really understand any of this hard disk gubbins anymore.

If I was going custom could I just get one or two ssd drives and avoid the old fashioned type altogether?
    Old Is Gold
  • Looks interesting cheers, I have to say don't really understand any of this hard disk gubbins anymore.

If I was going custom could I just get one or two ssd drives and avoid the old fashioned type altogether?
    You could, but you'd be paying a lot more for your storage that way (and it'd be very much dependent on whether the chassis had room for that many drives).
    <space for hire>