Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

OK... PRS Guitars - School Me

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
    tone1 said:
    I’ve currently got GAS for a stripped 58 for some unknown reason 
    Get one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3263
    edited December 2022
    They generally start off about this size:

Before being dipped in vats of various plastics.  I believe the V6 finish used 6 different types of plastic, and their V12, 12 different types of plastic.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a love/hate relationship with PRS over the years but I'm still enjoying my current 594, if you can afford it go core model, they can be superb. I like the Customs but not a big fan of the current pickups in them, I think they sound a little thin compared to the older pickups. The 58/15s work well in the 594 though, quite a hollow PAF tone that works with the thicker body wood. Neck pickup sounds a bit more 335 than Les Paul to my ears. This one is light too at 7.5lb

I don't normally like the look of PRS guitars, but I've had to give your one a wow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2385
    roberty said:
    I'm a recent convert. I've played one SE and a few S2s. The S2s have all been astonishingly good, whatever they do to cut corners I don't detect any element of compromise. The SE holds its own

They do a partial coil split which I like it so much I implemented on my #1 LPC

As for no vibe, what is it they say about people in glass houses?

what did you use to  implement on your #1 LPC?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7192
    HoraceB said:
    I was offered a Dave Navarro Signature for a great price, it was a superb guitar and have since regretted turning it down! 
    I have the US Core one of those and it is f**king sweet! 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 373
    edited December 2022
    @Wazmeister Many years as a Gibson, Fender, Gretsch loyalist. Exactly 1 year ago today I picked up a Gold '09 Nitro DGT with moons. It has been a revelation and a guitar that I've played almost every day of the past 12 months. Even though the DGT is probably the most understated model that they build I do still struggle with the look of them but the playing experience far outweighs that. More than welcome to try it out if you're ever Shropshire way. Pc ;-) 

https://i.imgur.com/HQ6JAt5.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They generally start off about this size:

Before being dipped in vats of various plastics.  I believe the V6 finish used 6 different types of plastic, and their V12, 12 different types of plastic.
    WTH is the v6 finish? I always read/heard that v12 was simply the 12th formula that they tried. Interestingly, they don't even differentiate V12 from their original formula on the site anymore.

Either way, they're back to nitro over CAB now anyway on all Core and S2 models, with one or two exceptions.
    “From 1985 – 2019, PRS used a polyester basecoat and an acrylic topcoat. During 2019, we started to transition to a nitrocellulose over CAB (catalyzed acrylic) finish. This was a flying change that was slowly worked into production. If your guitar was made during 2019, we cannot accurately determine the exact finish used on your instrument, so it is best to treat it as you would any other nitrocellulose finish and avoid long term contact with leather, rubber, and vinyl. Guitars produced in 2020 and beyond have the nitro over CAB finish.”
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    rze99 said:
    roberty said:
    I'm a recent convert. I've played one SE and a few S2s. The S2s have all been astonishingly good, whatever they do to cut corners I don't detect any element of compromise. The SE holds its own

They do a partial coil split which I like it so much I implemented on my #1 LPC

As for no vibe, what is it they say about people in glass houses?

what did you use to  implement on your #1 LPC?
    CTS push pull on neck pickup only, shunting one of the coils to ground via a 1.5k resistor. It can help clean it up when playing into a dirty amp. PRS use 1.1k on the neck and 2.2k on the bridge. I might add a push pull for the bridge to put them out of phase cos that can be a good lead sound
  • They generally start off about this size:

WTH is the v6 finish? I always read/heard that v12 was simply the 12th formula that they tried. Interestingly, they don't even differentiate V12 from their original formula on the site anymore.

Either way, they're back to nitro over CAB now anyway on all Core and S2 models, with one or two exceptions.
    “From 1985 – 2019, PRS used a polyester basecoat and an acrylic topcoat. During 2019, we started to transition to a nitrocellulose over CAB (catalyzed acrylic) finish. This was a flying change that was slowly worked into production. If your guitar was made during 2019, we cannot accurately determine the exact finish used on your instrument, so it is best to treat it as you would any other nitrocellulose finish and avoid long term contact with leather, rubber, and vinyl. Guitars produced in 2020 and beyond have the nitro over CAB finish.”

I thought the finish they used before they came out with the V12 was called V6.  I'll admit, despite owning a number of their guitars, I don't like them, there's a reason why almost all of the ones I own where given to me as gifts, and not guitars that I bought for myself.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1957
    PC1971 said:
    @Wazmeister Many years as a Gibson, Fender, Gretsch loyalist. Exactly 1 year ago today I picked up a Gold '09 Nitro DGT with moons. It has been a revelation and a guitar that I've played almost every day of the past 12 months. Even though the DGT is probably the most understated model that they build I do still struggle with the look of them but the playing experience far outweighs that. More than welcome to try it out if you're ever Shropshire way. Pc ;-) 

https://i.imgur.com/HQ6JAt5.jpg
    @PC1971 was that the one you bought from me? Did you buy another? if so was it better than the one I had? I really didn't bond with the one you bought ,do you find one you liked better? 

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5498
    They generally start off about this size:

V12 as a “thing” has been gone for nearly a decade now anyway - it was dropped in like 2013 after it turned out to be kind of a disaster. Check out other forums/social media for all sorts of stories about finish problems. The reason it was quietly dropped is because it became a bit of a tainted name. It’s interesting that they almost entirely - ahem - gloss over it - like it never existed now. The PR and hype when it came out was pretty crazy. Would be quite cautious buying one from that era personally. 

FWIW I’ve never heard “V6” until this thread right here…
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2200
    I think they're consistently decent. From the SE to PS.

0reaction image LOL 12reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • PC1971PC1971 Frets: 373
    @Lodious Hi Nick. I sold that one pretty soon after buying it. I didn’t like the bound fingerboard. The ‘09 has a light back and nicely worn nitro finish, unbound neck and the pickups are exceptional. ;-) 
  • You might disagree but I don't think a PRS sounds sterile at all, at least not those I've played.  Recent example, MEV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP0qEyS3PEM
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 364
    It’s funny. Every time I’m thinking about getting a new guitar. I always consider a PRS. I’ve owned a couple in the past but they’re both moved on now. I had a custom 22 and a satin finish single cut. The single cut was very nice. But once I picked up a Les Paul I moved it on as I preferred the Gibson. 
    But every time I try a PRS lately, I find they leave me feeling cold. Not sure why as they are beautifully made. I don’t think they have the best pickups, well not the ones I’ve tried anyway and I find most of them too pretty to suit my tastes. As someone mentioned earlier, I’d be too scared to use them out with a fear of damaging it. And I think think PRS guitars that aren’t pristine look wrong!!

I did try one that a friend owns recently though and I thought it was stunning. But I’d rather buy a Patrick James Eggle instead these days as I think they’re awesome and in the same realms as PRS guitars but I prefer the finishes used and playability on Patrick’s guitars. For my tastes anyway. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8567
    grungebob said:
    I’ve owned lots of PRS over the years mostly core’s. 
    I like the S2’s more.

Most of the SE’s are fantastic guitars. 
    You can pick up the older SE’s for silly cheap money. 
    I got these two below for £700 for both. 

Both are fantastic guitars, very in tune all over the neck and with a great range of sounds. 
    There’s a purity to that early SE Santana I really like, it’s not trying too hard to be a Core-but-not-quite like the newer ones. How does it play/sound?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2943
    edited December 2022
    dindude said:
    grungebob said:
    I like the S2’s more.

Both are fantastic guitars, very in tune all over the neck and with a great range of sounds. 
    There’s a purity to that early SE Santana I really like, it’s not trying too hard to be a Core-but-not-quite like the newer ones. How does it play/sound?
    I really liked the early SE series, wish I'd got a Soapbar II when they were £200 as they're going for over double that now. I wish they'd kept them as stripped down/basic and understated models rather than what they are now (which is more like a Core for people with normal incomes).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10914
    TTBZ said:
    dindude said:
    grungebob said:
    I like the S2’s more.

I really liked the early SE series, wish I'd got a Soapbar II when they were £200 as they're going for over double that now. I wish they'd kept them as stripped down/basic and understated models rather than what they are now (which is more like a Core for people with normal incomes).
    I have one in the classifieds for less than £400 #justsaying
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3365
    dindude said:
    grungebob said:
    I like the S2’s more.

It’s a fantastic guitar. Full stop. 
    I’ll go on but that’s it in a nutshell. 
    The pickups are nice and low powered but give great clarity and vintage rock & 90’s grunge sounds.  Great  sustain and the trem is very good. The action can be set ridiculously low and it sustains like a mutha.  I love it. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2943
    roberty said:
    I have one in the classifieds for less than £400 #justsaying
    Wish I'd seen your thread before sinking money into my parts strat! That modded Harley Benton is great value at £200!