Great set but I'm slightly surprised Sir Mick Jagger's Swastika T-Shirt survived the iPlayer censor

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
edited January 2023 in Music

Remixed (by Bob Clearmountain) this '78 set from the Stones sounds great at the time they were competing with punk and new wave bands for being edgy. Great set but I'm slightly surprised Sir Mick Jagger's Destroy Swastika T-Shirt survived the iPlayer sensor in these oh so sensitive times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0cgmzns/the-rolling-stones-some-girls-live-in-texas
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do you mean censor?
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2406
    idiot window said:
    Do you mean censor?
    Oops yes!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    edited January 2023
    It's obviously an anti-fascist T-shirt (apparently designed by the late Vivienne Westwood) but it seems not everyone appreciates that.
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/slowthai-apologises-for-confusing-fans-with-anti-fascist-t-shirt-that-bears-nazi-swastika-3281407
    roberty said:

Yes it certainly divided opinion over the ages but I guess that was the point - to shock - and it did back in the 70s and right through to the present day. Even as an ex punk I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing anything with a swastika on it today. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    It's obviously an anti-fascist T-shirt (apparently designed by the late Vivienne Westwood) but it seems not everyone appreciates that.
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/slowthai-apologises-for-confusing-fans-with-anti-fascist-t-shirt-that-bears-nazi-swastika-3281407
    “Nows my chance to act offended!”
    Good job Price Harry didn’t try it 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    … nor Hindus, Buddhists or Jains. 

The symbol predates Nazism by centuries. 

The original Aryans were from the First Persian Empire. Brown-skinned people with dark hair and eyes. (The blond(e) hair and blue eyes fixation is Nordic.)

The terms Aryan and non-Aryan are comparable us and them. In group and out group. The subtext being that "we" consider ourselves superior to "them". This was probably the little piece of Persian culture that was being appropriated.

Adolf and his followers really got their mythology mixed up, didn't they? He was a crappy painter too!
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    rze99 said:
    roberty said:

Yes it certainly divided opinion over the ages but I guess that was the point - to shock - and it did back in the 70s and right through to the present day. Even as an ex punk I wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing anything with a swastika on it today. 
    Yeah it's not the time for it now. "Don't cut yourself on all that edge, bro"
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19435
    rze99 said:
    Good job Price Harry didn’t try it 
    Apparently it wasn't poor Harry's fault, wicked William & Kate made him do it... FFS.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    Funkfingers said:

Adolf and his followers really got their mythology mixed up, didn't they?
    Some of the pseudo-historical/cultural/racial theories the Nazis believed - and actually expended supposedly 'scientific' research on - are quite bonkers, real Indiana Jones-type stuff. Unsurprisingly, none of it stands up to any modern scrutiny whatever.

I think it will take a very long time before the swastika is an acceptable symbol in Western culture again, if it ever is - it's awkward even in an anti-fascist context. I saw the film JoJo Rabbit recently - which is an anti-Nazi satire, if you haven't seen it - and was slightly puzzled to find that it has attracted criticism for its use of Nazi ideology as a source of humour. Wrongly in my opinion, it's a brilliant film.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14794
    Nazi ideology as a source of humo(u)r?

That forms a good part of Mel Brooks' career!  :)

Post-1945, arty farty types have used the swastika as provocation. This thread refers to the Westwood Destroy t-shirt design. Siouxsie appeared onstage wearing an armband. There is a section in The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle where Sidney Vicious wanders around the Jewish Quarter of Paris similarly attired. All pretty puerile, really.

IMO, it is still better to speak openly about the Third Reich than to hope that not mentioning it will spare the emotions of the victims. Ideally, the human race learns from the errors of the past and takes measures to prevent them happening again. So far, we are not doing very well.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom