Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

RedDog Music sold me studio monitors that have CLEARLY been used!

What's Hot
HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
edited November 2015 in Off Topic

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Take pictures and email them to Red Dog straight away. Get a paper trail going and protect yourself.
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    Yup. Did that first thing. Mailed them photos. Will be giving them a call first thing too.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Wankers.
  • Good stuff. They should offer you one of a few options. Either you keep them with a discount, they give you a free exchange for new ones, or a full refund including return postage.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Shop seems to be run by teenagers! No humidifiers etc in the acoustic section and they've got Martin 000-15Ms with 10,000 yea-old strings on! Stay clear, I say... get a refund, though. 
    I only ever go to guitarguitar now in Corstorphine.
    edited September 2014
    Shop seems to be run by teenagers! No humidifiers etc in the acoustic section and they've got Martin 000-15Ms with 10,000 yea-old strings on! Stay clear, I say... get a refund, though. 
    I only ever go to guitarguitar now in Corstorphine.
    Ah man. Not good news. 
    I think I'll get a refund.
    I've used GuitarGuitar a whole lot and they've always been great!

I'm literally 3kms from KMR Audio, they seems more reputable. I think I should probably go to them.

• Never heard of KMR Audio. 
    I remember once going to a shop and trying out a guitar... asking to buy... but asking if they had a "new one in back" unaware that the stock was hanging on the walls. Problem with Red Dog is the stock doesn't seem to be in great condition. 
    GuitarGuitar is miles ahead - like I say... I only ever go there (or to the one in Glasgow). 
    Red Dog used to be ok when it was Sound Control but whenever I go in now... the gear doesn't seem in great condition and it doesn't seem very professional. But what do you expect if they're on min wage, I guess.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bought a case off Red Dog a year ago, all fine, cheapest price I could find. They sent me a bunch of mail shots after but they have dried up now.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Hmm, last time I was there they seemed excellent, but that was a couple of years back. I guess they've gone down hill somewhat since then. And yes, their mail shots seem to have ended, so maybe they're struggling a bit.

Maybe there is something sadder than a music shop shutting - a good music shop turning bad. :(
  • The guitarguitar lot seem well-versed and enjoy their job. They must get paid more.
  • Pretty shitty behaviour, I hate hearing moody crap like this.

Good luck getting it sorted and make sure and tell them what you think of them and their business practices, maybe send a link to this thread.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    edited September 2014

RedDog Music in Edinburgh sold me studio monitors that have CLEARLY been used! Anyone else?

Yes, there is at least one other shop which has been caught doing stuff like this too, and it's not a million miles away… and there are others.

This is the downside of the DSRs, "30-day no quibble money back guarantees" and other things online buyers have got used to demanding. If a shop sells something and the buyer returns it, it's very difficult not to give a full refund, especially if the buyer has paid by credit card since the card company always sides with the buyer. So then the shop has a choice of accepting a big loss and selling the goods as second hand, or reselling them as new and hoping the next buyer doesn't notice.

Obviously in this case they should have checked more carefully that the speakers were in a fit condition to get away with that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Like I said, though... the stock is what's on the floor so if they've not taken care of it but have to sell it, that's what they've passed on here. Just say the quality is not what you'd expect.
    What other shop - and ICBM, are you in Edinburgh? Christ on a bike, if so we should jam sometime!
    What other shop - and ICBM, are you in Edinburgh? Christ on a bike, if so we should jam sometime!
    Not far away ;). You don't happen to be a singer do you? :) My band is looking for one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I only sing a little - mainly a guitarist! What's your band's name?
    I only sing a little - mainly a guitarist! What's your band's name?
    It varies :). But you probably won't have seen us around for a few years… we have had a long litany of singers leaving, becoming Swiss, spontaneously combusting, going barking mad, that sort of thing ;).

We need an actual singer, but preferably one that is a normal human who can sing, if you see what I mean :D.

• I actually like singing but it's not my main thing. Good luck with your search because musicians in the Edinburgh area are hard to find and flaky, as you suggest!
    edited November 2015
    Update if anyone is interested.
    Got a call from a manager this morning. I hadn't had time to call them yet.
    Very apologetic.

The monitors were taken off of their display, they did not tell me this.
    They've had them in for a month and had them on display for two weeks. Display was moved last week and probably damaged them then.

Basically I dealt with a junior guy, who was very nice, but didn't let me know that they were demo units, and also didn't check the things for damage before he boxed them up.

They will send me brand new ones and collect the ones I have. 
    Or if the lead time is very long perhaps discount something. 
    I shall decide when I hear what the lead time is.

At least this is being dealt with properly!

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited September 2014
    ICBM said:
    This is the downside of the DSRs, "30-day no quibble money back guarantees" and other things online buyers have got used to demanding. If a shop sells something and the buyer returns it, it's very difficult not to give a full refund, especially if the buyer has paid by credit card since the card company always sides with the buyer. So then the shop has a choice of accepting a big loss and selling the goods as second hand, or reselling them as new and hoping the next buyer doesn't notice.

Obviously in this case they should have checked more carefully that the speakers were in a fit condition to get away with that.

Here is a quick run down of some key points I've picked out from http://andrewminalto.com/dsr-update-2014/

Key points -

Once a buyer has informed you that they want to cancel a contract and return an order, they should do so within 14 days.

You should refund the original purchase price within 14 days of receiving the goods back.

These last two points are very important and are actually changes in favour of sellers. I know – hard to believe, isn’t it!? Previously, under the Distance Selling Regulations, you had to refund a buyer before receiving the goods back which was very problematic with eBay sellers who would then not bother sending it back.

But now there is a clear timeframe for the return of goods and you only have to provide a refund once you’ve received the item(s).

You only have to refund the basic outbound delivery rate.

As before, you still need to refund the original delivery cost, but now only up to the cheapest standard delivery you offer.

So what this means is that if a buyer chooses to upgrade to a more expensive delivery option and then they decide to return the goods, you DON’T have to refund the full amount.

Let’s say, for example, that you’re selling a product for £8 with a £3.80 shipping cost (which is via RM 2nd Class). If you also offer 1st Class Delivery for £5.45 and your customer decides to pay extra for that but then wants to refund the order – you only have to refund £11.80 (i.e. £8 plus the standard shipping cost of £3.80).

AND

You have the right to deduct a certain amount from refunds where goods show signs of unreasonable use that has lead to diminished value.

Now before you get all excited, let me clarify this, as I’m already seeing a lot of confusion online-

• You CANNOT deduct because the item has been removed from its packaging.
    • You CANNOT deduct because an item has been tried or checked.

Customers can handle the goods as much as they would in a regular retail store and you can only deduct if the item has been obviously and definitely used extensively.

You will have to deal with this on a case by case basis, but I would just recommend refunding in full either way. Yes you may save a bit but you will cost yourself a lot of hassle and negative feedbackwhich, at the end of the day, really isn’t worth it.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28098
    They will send me brand new ones and collect the ones I have. 
    Or if the lead time is very long perhaps discount something. 
    I shall decide when I hear what the lead time is.

At least this is being dealt with properly!

Good result.

And I notice that @RedDogMusic has just signed up here.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.