NGD - Atkin Essential D

What's Hot

Comments

• It happens. 
    Re the shape, do you mean it's like a shallow U shape but the edges are too square and cause you pain?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    @thomasross20 ;
    It's exactly not what I'd call shallow. Haven't got the callipers on it but down at the nut it feels like my old Tele. 
    The 'square' edges / hefty shoulders are the issue, made worse by the fact it's slightly asymmetrical - there's more squareness on the treble side so it's putting a lot of concentrated pressure on the base of my finger when chording down by the nut. 
  • Bummer and just one of those things you don't find until have had extended play time, like you say.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited January 2023
    Cryptid said:
    @Davemc I think we've spoke before about being self-conscious in guitar shops. I normally clam up and get really anxious, forgetting how to play anything at all. I just get this sense of not being worthy of taking up their time despite being ready to spend a wad of cash on the right instrument. It's more a reflection on me than any sales staff to be honest. 

Ideally I'd like a private booth with a clutch of guitars and be left to it, but with many shops downsizing the private booths have gone. I've always been treated well at GuitarGuitar in Birmingham but you can't help yourself to guitars off the shelf even when you're well known. As you say, it makes it impossible to go back and forth to make a good comparison. 

It's still a lot better than ordering a guitar online unseen and unplayed, in the hope it will be a good example but with nothing to compare it to. With the hassle and cost of organising a return, I think some people would more likely to keep a guitar that's not exactly what they wanted. 

My experience at Coda was refreshing. I gave them a list of the guitars I wanted to try and the chap explained that due to lack of floor space and spare stands, I could only get two down at a time. He fetched the first two for me and once he was comfortable that I was careful he let me pick down whatever I wanted and disappeared downstairs. Came up occasionally to check I was OK and what I thought of this and that. I was there for about three hours, went out for lunch then came back for another hour of testing. I'd recommend a visit if you're in the market for a nice acoustic. 
    Yeah same here (I think you're right, we probably have talked about this before!). I also start worrying that what I'm playing is uncool or whatever, and then just start randomly noodling, which probably sounds even worse than the actual songs I was going to play! (Even worse on acoustic, because as a more electric-style player the only songs I can think of playing are usually electric ones!)

Booths are the best, definitely. 

You're right about the online buying- I buy most things online and there definitely does feel (at least to me) that unless there's something actually wrong with it, I'll probably just keep the thing. Then again I also get the feeling that there were things I was too hard on in shops that I probably should have just bought!

I know Coda is usually considered one of the good ones- I've bought a few things off them online and they've been great. I'm in Northern Ireland unfortunately, if I were a bit closer I'd definitely have been to them long before now!

(That's interesting about the Doves- I've never tried any, but I'd like to. I really seem to like Gibson acoustics, but I agree with you that they're super-variable- the best ones are brilliant, but (as I've said before) the worst ones feel like you'd be much better off with a £400 Faith!)

That sucks about the neck profile on the Atkin- but I suppose (trying to make the best of it!) at least when something actually hurts it makes your decision for you and you won't have to second-guess it. And having the Epiphone as the one you almost bought and wondered about should hopefully make it a bit easier...  Looking forward to that NGD post too D  EDIT: Don't worry for a second about "getting it wrong"- at least you know and will hopefully end up with something that suits you. We all (well, I do anyway!) get it wrong, I'm so indecisive that I never know if I've got it wrong or not! That's even worse...
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 268
    I was just about to right a congratulations on a beautiful guitar then read ure returning it due to the neck.  I’ve been here a few times and one in my collection also has to go as amazing as it is.  Theres no point opening the case and playing for 30 min because the neck doesn’t work and causes hand issues.  
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 789
    Hope Epi works out for you @Cryptid . Informative thread. Overall, highlights what great guitars, choice and stores we have in UK in 2023. Great that Coda gave such good service and swapped. Try doing that in the 1970's! Don't think I would have dared. Bought an absolutely awful Gibson Mark in 1979. Never even thought of taking it back. fwiw, had an Epiphone back then too. I think it was what I bought after the Gibson. It was bad pretty bad as well! :-)
  • DavidR said:
    highlights what great guitars, choice and stores we have in UK in 2023. Great that Coda gave such good service and swapped. Try doing that in the 1970's! 
    Coda are excellent and this kind of service is where they shine. I don't think you should assume that other popular UK dealers would be so accommodating.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    edited January 2023
    DavidR said:
    highlights what great guitars, choice and stores we have in UK in 2023. Great that Coda gave such good service and swapped. Try doing that in the 1970's! 
    Coda are excellent and this kind of service is where they shine. I don't think you should assume that other popular UK dealers would be so accommodating.
    Yeah, to be fair they don't have to if you've tried it in store. I guess it helped that he's willing to take another guitar they have, but they still don't have to and still I would guess that most stores wouldn't entertain that. That's exceptional service, basically.
    Just got home with the Epi Frontier :open_mouth: 

I really can't rate Coda highly enough, they didn't hesitate about the exchange and actually cared that I had the right guitar in the end. They'd even put a fresh set of strings on it for me, the gents. 

I'm spoiled in Birmingham between GuitarGuitar, Fairdeal, PMT and The Little Guitar Shop and had excellent service from each over the years to be fair. For example, Grant at PMT had no qualms about giving me a refund for an amp I bought two days previous which wasn't quite doing it for me (but I have known him since the Musical Exchanges days so I don't know whether that's a factor). 

That said, Coda's range of desirable acoustics is hard to beat and I was made to feel really welcome there. I didn't dare step in the electric shop - acoustic blinkers on!  

I think it's serendipity that the Atkin wasn't working out for me; the Epiphone is absolutely stunning and a much better fit. 
    Got a rehearsal soon so NGD post will have to wait until tomorrow :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 950
    @Cryptid ; put on new strings eh? Makes Coda a good store in my book. 

It's a bit too much mileage for me, though, furthest I get from Lincolnshire is GuitarGuitar, Birmingham. Nearly every acoustic I've bought has come from there. Glen (the manager) is a very fair guy. 

I may be off there in the next few days. 

:) 
    @Mellish They are indeed a lovely bunch at GG Birmingham. 

Have you been given the blessing to purchase another guitar? :)
    Cryptid said:
    @Mellish They are indeed a lovely bunch at GG Birmingham. 

Have you been given the blessing to purchase another guitar? :)
    No mate, p/e on my Gibson Dove Original.

After maybe a Martin 000-28.This Dove's 16" lower bought is giving me shoulder ache.

Brands I have in mind: Martin, Gibson, Lowden, Maton, Fylde. But I'll be trying anything and everything. That's *if* I go, not sure yet. 

@Mellish ; Sorry to hear that the Dove's giving you shoulder trouble, I know how much you love that guitar. I hope you find something more suitable. Don't rule out the Atkin 000-37 based on your experience with the Essential D - my D37 was an incredible instrument. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    @Mellish re the Dove
    is that the one you just bought ?  (or was that a Hummy ?)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    edited January 2023
    @Cryptid ; just the way it goes mate. Sometimes a guitar is perfect except for one little thing that you notice more and more. It's a real shame when it happens  

@bertie ; yes mate, the Dove I recently bought. I have had Hummingbirds. Had a great one that I foolishly sold. If you find a good one, it's all you'd ever need and more :) 
    Mellish said:

If you find a good one, it's all you'd ever need and more :) 
    debatable  ;) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2023
    @bertie ; well in there a lot is subjective. But a good 'Bird (to me) takes a LOT of beating.

Shorter scale, so doesn't feel "tight", less stretch for small hands. Great Woods and (if you find a good one)  superb tone. What's not to like? 

Now I know I'm going to get it cos @Tannin hates short scale but... well you pays your money...

Mellish said:
      What's not to like? 

its a dread !!!

Ahh, the truth's coming out now. He's a parlour fan, he goes to war on anything dreadnought. 

=) 

Actually, you made a valid point. As I get older, I'm finding I'm not as elastic as I used to be, hence going to p/e this Dove.

Mellish said:
    Ahh, the truth's coming out now. He's a parlour fan, he goes to war on anything dreadnought. 

Im a "comfort" fan, and anything smaller than a dread is far more comfortable :) It really is surprising what a few mm in width and depth can do (as the proverbial said to the ................)