Truss rod question

What's Hot
I recently bought a 60s style strat type neck, adjustment at the body end, off the bay..
When I’ve finally got round to doing anything with it, I’ve managed to push the truss rod further into the neck.. it’s gone as far as it will go, and does seem to be working.. it’s just that it’s quite a way into the neck (over 13mm) 
As is the way, it was slightly recessed on arrival, but now it’s right in there..
Am I likely to have problems, later, although, obviously I’m not expecting to be adjusting it, all the time..? Should I send it back?
Its new, and I selected it because the heel width was exactly as I wanted.. finding another that fits so well might be problematic..

Here are some not amazing phone pics to illustrate the issue..

https://imgur.com/a/WYygDcn
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I would have preferred a nut end adjustment, but this was the best fit..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Ask the supplier if they normally look like that.

It's not fender spec, but if its working then there is no functional issue from having it recessed.  it could be they simply used a shorter rod for some reason.  without knowing the source its hard to say.

however, my concern would be that it is supposed to be flush like a fender, and it has come loose at the anchor point and pushed in further.  You might still feel some tension when using it, but it won't work as it should. 

If you can tighten it and observe a backbow occuring then it is working

Here’s a pic of the actual neck, from eBay.. not the best, but you can just about see that it’s almost flush.. as it was when it arrived.. it has pushed in, as I’ve adjusted it, in anticipation of fitting the neck, and checking/adjusting..

It does bow back when tightened..
    I’ll wing them a message, but I wanted to get some thoughts from the local knowledge pool, first, if possible..

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 569
    edited January 2023
    Mine is the opposite. So much back bow it needs to be super-loose and basically sits proud of the butt. 

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    usedtobe said:
    ...... I’ve managed to push the truss rod further into the neck.. it’s gone as far as it will go .....
    Are you saying that when you pressed a screwdriver onto the screw head it moved into the bored hole?
    If so, that's not right.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    BillDL said:

Are you saying that when you pressed a screwdriver onto the screw head it moved into the bored hole?
    If so, that's not right.
    Sounds like a box rod that’s had the channel routed too long so there’s a gap at the far end. It will still work fine, but it’s not ideal if it makes the adjuster nut hard to get to.

If you want the nut in the normal position, slacken the rod fully and bang the neck down hard on the heel end - that should shift it, if it pushed in that easily. Then tighten it gently until it grips the neck. If it won’t move like that you’ll need to take the nut out and get something to thread onto the rod so you can pull it manually.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom