Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Pink Floyd album

What's Hot

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited September 2014
    Gassage;361315" said:
    An interesting question- from DSOTM to the Wall, how many baselines did Roger record in the studio?
    Answer: None. all David.
    Is that definitely true?

Gilmour recently played lap steel on 'The Levels' from Ben Watts' recent solo album - he's also credited with playing bass on it - I didn't realise he did a lot of it.

Waters have always struck me as the most rudimentary of musicians - if only his ego were as limited....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31094
    According to Guy, yes. David's 1960 stack knob jazz is on virtually all the tracks

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72977
    Shakespeare had terrible handwriting too, by all accounts.

;) Exaggeration for comic effect, but you know what the point is...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10521

I don't think the bass line thing is true to be honest, yes some of the stuff is Gilmour but you can hear a lot is Waters. Hey you sounds like Gilmour, another Brick in the Wall - Happiest days etc sounds like Waters. Different styles

You can also hear some guitar is Waters and not Gilmour, Mother for example
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • @not_the_dj that pretty much sums me up too, looking forward to hearing the new album.
  • I really enjoyed the instrumental sections on Gilmour's last solo album, and I expect Wright's contributions to have been handled with the respect they deserve, so I'm not overly worried this will turn out badly.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    New track relased .. very Division Bell sounding ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    Gassage said:
     stack knob jazz
    Arf!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    edited October 2014
    As for Waters, I've not really liked anything Floyd did after he left - he may have been a curmudgeonly old bastard, but I think Dave needs that sort of conflict to make interesting music and bring out the best in his playing.

Couldn't agree more! Without Waters he's Dave Gilbore!
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Regardless of the others in the band, regardless of the songs, words, singers and all that stuff, regardless of the history, whether it's right or wrong to do, and all that jazz ..... I basically like to hear Gilmour guitar solos. I figure the album is going to have Gilmour guitar solos.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    axisus said:
    Regardless of the others in the band, regardless of the songs, words, singers and all that stuff, regardless of the history, whether it's right or wrong to do, and all that jazz ..... I basically like to hear Gilmour guitar solos. I figure the album is going to have Gilmour guitar solos.

I'm with you there.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited October 2014
    axisus;386568" said:
    Just like the earlier ones have Waters whining. I don't like the sound of Waters whining - I much prefer the sound of David Gilmour playing guitar solos.

Sorry if this renders me 'not a proper Pink Floyd fan', shallow or lacking taste....
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Just listened to it .. there are some un-Floyd heavy rock tracks and some Berlin-era Bowie style noodlings. I'll give it a 7/10 - plenty of Gilmour's guitar and some nods to the early days. It's not really a cohesive album though.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • At last, the wait is over.

I'm currently streaming this from Amazon while Mr Postman does his bit.....liking it so far (despite's the Amazon Cloud Player adding in gaps between the tracks...that sort of ruins the mood every now and again).
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4173
    edited November 2014
    Listened to it via Google All Access this morning and really liked it. My CD/Blu-ray version has just turned up.

Surprised they didn't put "Nervana" (sic) on the regular CD versions, that's one of my favourite tracks.

Rather enjoyed the album. Some obviously very Division Bell stuff, but also lots of stuff that recalls 70 material - and even stuff as old as Saucerful of Secrets.

Watching the blu-ray now and feeling very sad that Rick is gone.

• FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839
    Just listened to it on Spotify - it's... okay.   Nothing really memorable, or anything that really stands out to me.  Would be great as background music for a gathering.  

Gilmour firmly in the slightly predictable aimless noodle mode he's been stuck in for a few years, with lots of E-bow acoustic and whammy pedal rather than the delicious soaring melodies he used to come up with.  They really should have got Roger back in just to stand in the corner and make faces at Gilmour to rile him up a bit.  I swear that the biggest musical contribution Waters made to the Floyd was annoying Gilmour enough to really fire him up and play amazing things. :))

I do really like Nick's drum sound though, he's much more in the foreground than he has been for a very long time.  His kit sounds big, live and loose, it's great.

Some really nice bits of Rick on there as well, although I felt that he was sometimes pushed into the background a little too much, particularly considering the emphasis on it being a tribute to him.  I'd have loved to have heard more keyboards and less guitar.

6/10 from me - pleasant enough, but I won't be purchasing.  I vastly preferred the raw unpolished jam excerpts to the main course.

-- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
  • Just listened to it through at work

I love it - some lovely nods to the past. The first two tracks being very "Shine on"

But at the end of  the day it is what it is, a collection of outtakes

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    Gassage;361315" said:
    An interesting question- from DSOTM to the Wall, how many baselines did Roger record in the studio?
    Answer: None. all David.
    Is that definitely true?

Gilmour recently played lap steel on 'The Levels' from Ben Watts' recent solo album - he's also credited with playing bass on it - I didn't realise he did a lot of it.

Waters have always struck me as the most rudimentary of musicians - if only his ego were as limited....
    Interesting...Have you listened to this?

• GassageGassage Frets: 31094
    Surprisingly I've only heard properly about 3 tracks, the stand out of which is Nevana, I agree.

Ummmm....here's the thing....even I don't want the great brand tarnished, and this will undeniably slightly tarnish the brand and it's not really ....well is it?

So I haven't rushed to listen to it in case of disappointment.

However, I know there will be some gems in there.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17864
    tFB Trader
    I'm listening now. 

It's just a load of noodling, but nice enough for what it is. 

I think it will be a nice album to listen to while I'm coding.