NAD: The 'Humble' Boss Dual Cube LX

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6342
    Yeah, the stereo input option is mostly for people with a full-fat modeller who want to use it as a little FRFR monitor. Or perhaps someone who is using the Dual Cube as their audio interface, and wants to plug a stereo source - digital piano, synth, etc - in and send the stereo audio without amp modelling into the computer/iPad via USB.

Boss put a lot more flexibility into the I/O of the Dual Cube compared to the Yamaha THR. Have a look at the block diagram in the user manual PDF.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 38
    edited July 2023
    Coming back to this thread as I've gone round in circles. Is the Dual Cube really that good sounding?

@Wazmeister you've compared it favourably against your beautiful amps like the Two Notes and Lazy J.

The reason for this direct question is that I'd settled on either the Katana Mini or the Yamaha THR5. I popped over to PMT Oxford yesterday and tried them and was totally underwhelmed.  The THR was certainly the best sounding but still not great - I really wanted the Crunch channel to breakup a little with single coils but it stayed clean. The more gainy channels didn't do it for me. The Katana Mini sounded really thin - I was surprised by this as Dave Simpson had raved about it. 

Stupidly I didn't try the Dual Cube, even though they had it there. I think that was a mistake and should have taken the time to try it.

I've also read on other forums that lots of people use the other amps available in the software ('variation B') to get the most out of the Dual Cube. Have you done much tinkering in the software? if so, then a simple demo at a store wouldn't be the best test.

I'm not looking for a full amp replacement, just a portable solution that sounds good and I can use around the house.

Thanks for the help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4903
    "Good sounding" is a matter of taste, I think. My need was for a portable grab'n'go practice amp. I was upgrading from a Fly 3 and (at the time) also getting back into modellers. I really like the JC120 channel and the Fender channel. They are decent and usable. I don't find the other channels convincing, but I don't choose those sounds on a big amp, either - I use pedals.

The variation B sounds are different, and some must prefer them as they post about it. 

Having said that, on the Cube I'll use the reverb, trem and chorus (just twiddling, and saving presets manually - I haven't used the editor since the first month of ownership). I don't use the looper, but I probably should, as I've been using a Ditto+ with it and all this should need is for me to plug in my spare FS-6 footswitch. 

I prefer it to a THR. The batteries last for ages. I haven't tried the Spark or Katana. But none of them, absolutely none, are as good as a decent amp with a bigger speaker. They are convenient solutions to a problem, and decent enough for that, for sure. 

All my own opinion, obv., Everyones got one! :-) 

If you're buying new and don't like it, it won't cost too much to send it back. Probably less than the travel cost to go to a shop again. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom