SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Random request: PRS Phase iii tuner buttons in gold, buy or swap.

wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 498
Hi all, recently acquired a gorgeous PRS SC58 from a fellow forumite and some of the hardware is two-tone and some is plain nickel. I've bought some gold pup pole screws to sort those out and I'm after some Phase iii locking tuner buttons in gold which would complete the look. Can swap for my nickel ones if anyone wants or willing to buy outright if anyone has some or knows where to get them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Gotoh buttons fit directly onto the Phase III tuners if that helps - they're somewhat easier to find!
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 498
    @guitargeek62 oh that helps a lot, any particular model Gotoh?
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    edited January 2023
    Not that I recall - I think they're pretty uniform though

*i.e. the mounts on Gotoh tuners are, if not the size of the buttons themselves. The standard Phase III buttons are the 'small' Gotoh size.

I'm trying to remember if I tried Kluson buttons on them too, and feel I might have - these could be worth a go, but no promises:

https://www.armstrongmusic.co.uk/hardware-parts-c1/tuning-machines-c28/parts-for-tuning-machines-c30/kluson-button-set-for-contemporary-diecast-series-tuning-machines-small-traditional-p22660
    @guitargeek62 thanks mate. I don't know why this is so hard. I spent about 2.5 hours today looking for replacement Gotoh buttons and I could find wood ones from Crazyparts in Germany but no metal ones anywhere. I've just bought the ones you listed. If they work much appreciated, no worries if they don't. At this point I'm happy to chuck 20 quid at it as a risk just from sheer frustration.
  • D’oh! Well at least you know that any listed as compatible with Gotoh should also be compatible with the Phase IIIs! :mrgreen:  Fwiw, I’ve had a set of those CrazyParts ones too and they work brilliantly - I think I still have them somewhere, but they’re tortoiseshell else I’d have volunteered them to you!
  • I have the opposite problem, I don't particularly like the gold buttons on my PRS 594 SC Semi Hollow and have thought about getting maple or ivoroid buttons for a more Collingsy vibe.  Unfortunately I'd still want to keep the gold buttons in case I sell the guitar and prospective buyers want the original buttons.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    D’oh! Well at least you know that any listed as compatible with Gotoh should also be compatible with the Phase IIIs! :mrgreen:  Fwiw, I’ve had a set of those CrazyParts ones too and they work brilliantly - I think I still have them somewhere, but they’re tortoiseshell else I’d have volunteered them to you!
    Haha thanks. My plan B if these don't work is just to suck it up and get some ebony ones from Crazyparts, or maybe maple as the guitar is a green fade and gets lighter towards the top of the body so maybe maple ones would kind of continue the scheme...

I have the opposite problem, I don't particularly like the gold buttons on my PRS 594 SC Semi Hollow and have thought about getting maple or ivoroid buttons for a more Collingsy vibe.  Unfortunately I'd still want to keep the gold buttons in case I sell the guitar and prospective buyers want the original buttons.
    Yeah I get that, I'd trade my silver ones with someone as then they are both still original PRS parts but if you were going wood you'd want to keep the originals for resale. This guitar will look amazing when I'm finished, just bought some gold pup screws to keep the two tone hardware theme going, hopefully same with the gold tuner buttons, then finally maybe the pup rings get a swap for Rosewood to match the fretboard.
  • My PRS has the two tone hardware thing as well and to be fair the gold buttons perfectly fit the look of the guitar (especially since it has a McCarty burst finish, ie the guitar itself is quite gold).  I'm not sure why I'm not keen on them, but I don't think I've ever had metal buttons on a humbucker guitar before and it's maybe something to do with that.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    Klusons sadly didn't work.... the search continues!!