Oscilloscope advice.

In a former life, I used to advise / purchase and calibrate scopes - when the first digital scopes were coming in at around £7k - which was about my salary at the time.  Fast forward 40 years and I'm finding myself getting into a few amp / equipment repairs.  Back then I would have said "Buy an Iwatsu or Hitachi and it'll do everything you want for £1500."  I can now buy those scopes on Marketplace for less than £150 but I've also noticed the deluge of chinese digital scopes from people like Hantek which cover the same ground  - or more - in a package which weighs next to nothing and could reside on a window sill.  Does anyone here have any experience of the new gear?  £250 buys a lot on Amazon and I know it's a throw-away item if it dies but older electronic gear is the same as the chips become obsolete.  I wouldn't be using more than, say, once a fortnight and it would stay at home so it doesn't need to be particularly robust.  The smaller size is a major bonus.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1704
    edited January 2023
    If you’re working on amps then you don’t need anything fancy. Bandwidth doesn't  need to be great. But you will want it to be able to handle high voltages - if you mean valve amps - so make sure the channel voltage range/max voltage covers what you want.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom