Danish oil as clear coat after nitrocellulose? (Not poly!)

What's Hot
YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
edited January 2023 in Making & Modding
I am rewiring and refinishing my scruffy tele. Have done a few coats of Northwest Guitars Lake Placid, and the thing is looking sweet. Now for the clear coats… the only asset I’ve got lying around is Danish oil. Would that work on top of the nitrocellulose? I am after something matte rather than glossy. 

Cheers, 
Jon
Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3222
    Ive used Tru Oil as a too coat over matte rattle can a couple of times and it works well

If you have a bit of Lake Placid left, paint a bit of scrap wood and try the Danish
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I would expect it to not bond properly and eventually peel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Yorkie said:
    I am rewiring and refinishing my scruffy tele. Have done a few coats of Northwest Guitars Lake Placid, and the thing is looking sweet. Now for the clear coats… the only asset I’ve got lying around is Danish oil. Would that work on top of the poly? I am after something matte rather than glossy. 

Cheers, 
    Jon
    NorthWest Guitars Lake Placid - I think that will be nitrocellulose, not poly?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
    Indeed, nitrocellulose. I was reading a lot about poly when I posted this and things got badly mixed up in my head. Will edit, thanks!
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Yorkie said:
    Indeed, nitrocellulose. I was reading a lot about poly when I posted this and things got badly mixed up in my head. Will edit, thanks!
    No problem - it's just that, in terms of compatibility, it might matter  :)

• YorkieYorkie Frets: 1692
    I’ve also read on TGP that some people have not done the clear coats on theirs. Tempted to do this and see how it ages.