SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Deposit taken

What's Hot
danbandanban Frets: 343
edited February 2023 in Guitars £

Up for sale is my 1965 Gibson SG junior which over the years has been modified into a SG Special.

It is a player rather than a museum/collectors piece, made to be gigged.

It has had a headstock repair with a spline which is solid and a neck reset that led to it being modified from a junior, it’s had a refinish during its life and been re-fretted at some point too.

When I bought the sg a few years ago it came with a pearloid guard (You can have this too) which looks god awful and despite not being period correct I had a batwing pickguard made for it.

The Original parts are: 

Bridge Volume / Tone pots and control knobs

Jack Socket

Bridge Pickup - Hook up wire has been replaced during its life.

Bridge Posts

Non-original parts:

Faber Bridge

Kent Armstrong Neck P90 Pickup - Model S10

Neck Volume/Tone Pots - Japan 500k - unoriginal control knobs

Pickguard - Batwing and Pearloid

Gibson Deluxe Button Tuners

Bone nut

Switch craft 3-way toggle

The headstock and neck repair are solid, finish checking/hairline crack around headstock repair as shown in photos are settlement over the years (It was repaired many years ago) but is very stable and keeps in tune.

Frets are in good condition and have loads of life left, these were polished and filed 3/4 years ago.

The headstock veneer was replaced with a non-silk screen and was done at the time of the headstock repair but all of this was done well before my ownership 6 years ago so I’m going off what I remember from the previous owner telling me.

Nut and neck measurements:

Nut width 1 11/16”

1st fret thickness: 21.5mm

12th fret thickness: 24.2mm

12th fret width: 52mm

Neck profile is a hair thicker than a 1962 SG Special I used to own and this was far better than that was in sound/playability.

Weight wise it’s super light at around 6lbs and does suffer with the ill fated headstock dive some of this has been mitigated as the guitar originally came with gotoh kidney bean chrome locking tuners.

Plays well and sounds great.

In my ownership all I’ve had done was a setup, fret crown/polish, replaced machine heads with something more in keeping as the holes had previously been enlarged for locking tuners and a new pickguard.

I’ve been as honest as I can about the guitar and will try to answers questions as best to my knowledge as I can.

It’s vintage and certainly not a collectors but a vintage guitar you can use at a gig and not worry about it’s monetary value (Which I have a couple of times).

As of the last couple years it’s sat at home not being played as much, so with that it needs to go to a home where it will be played (The music I play doesn’t lend itself with this one sadly).

Also no relicing needed with this one as it comes with playing wear.

Value wise I have no idea as there isn’t anything in recent years to go by and I can’t gauge by non modified/undamaged examples. There are modified 1967 examples with the skinnier width neck for what I consider to be crazy money £2500-3000.

£1800

Based in Rutland near Stamford.

Here’s a link to the photos shown below:

https://imgur.com/a/NcC10OS

Short video here:

https://youtu.be/rBTY8KNVUBM

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• danbandanban Frets: 343
    edited January 2023

Here are a couple of old photos of when I first got the SG
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Jokes aside, I’d say that’s a very keen price and should fly. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Regardless of the non-original status of your SG it is still a VERY cool guitar :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Jokes aside, I’d say that’s a very keen price and should fly. 
    I can’t deny that at all, in some ways I guess it is =)  
  • I like it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Regardless of the non-original status of your SG it is still a VERY cool guitar :D 
    Thanks, at the time of buying this there was no way I could afford an all original one.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 830
    Pm'd
    edited January 2023
    Had some questions in regard to the neck profile, this is not a baseball bat/chunky neck ifs more akin to a 60s profile with a hair more width to it. I’ll take some analog calliper measurements.

Nut width 42.5mm
    1st fret depth 21.5mm
    12th Depth 24.2mm
    12th fret width 52mm
    Friday bump!
    To the top!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28387
    Shiiiiiiit that's tempting...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I have a 67 with Mojo P90s. Similar neck repair, and some idiot has re-finished in Poly. Sounds great though. I prefer yours! 
    I have a 67 with Mojo P90s. Similar neck repair, and some idiot has re-finished in Poly. Sounds great though. I prefer yours! 
    Very nice, wouldn’t surprise me if he repair was done by the same guy! 

Thanks it does resonate well and cuts through a mix like anything but I’m not a massive fan of slimmer necks I have to say.
    Dare I ask, what would make it more tempting?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28387
    danban said:
    The major thing would be if I didn't already have too much much gear, and if I lived in the UK and had fewer nerves about whether it would be braz rosewood (I'm currently Abu Dhabi based!)

May I ask what size are the frets? I struggle with old flat ones but if it's had taller wire fitted...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    danban said:
    The major thing would be if I didn't already have too much much gear, and if I lived in the UK and had fewer nerves about whether it would be braz rosewood (I'm currently Abu Dhabi based!)

May I ask what size are the frets? I struggle with old flat ones but if it's had taller wire fitted...
    I know that feeling, I’m currently culling some of my guitars to buy a real nice one at the moment. I completely understand that, I had to get a certificate from Defra when I moved to New Zealand and then back as it didn’t work out for me.

Id say the fret wire is the same height dimensions that are on my Gibson VOS 58 ES335.
    Mid week bump
    edited January 2023
    Weekend bump!

Help me fund another potential gas purchase 
    To the top!