First Drop Top Superstrat

What's Hot
I am planning my next build. My last build was a strat and I have built a few Tele's.
I am thinking of having a go at a drop top strat, probably a mahogany body with a maple top.
This is new territory for me and I have questions I could do with some help with. 
If I have a forearm bevel, how thin must the maple cap be for it to bend over the bevelled mahogany?
How do I deal with binding around the bevel?
I have made a top bound tele before and although I wasn't entirely happy with the quality of the final job, I am keen to have another go.
Wood binding, what wood and size might work best? How do I deal with the tight bends? Am I better off sticking with plastic.
Lot's of questions any help will be appreciated, Thanks

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    If I have a forearm bevel, how thin must the maple cap be for it to bend over the bevelled mahogany?

A couple of millimetres if you want a rounded bend. If the bevel transition is angled then you can take a triangular section groove out of the back of the cap, cutting almost all the way through, and bend along that. Both the depth and position of the groove need to be precise. You can also cut all the way through and rejoin, which leaves a  noticeable join line. Another way is to use a thick cap, and chamfer that. I’ve also seen guitars where the chamfer just cuts through the cap to expose the body wood beneath.

How do I deal with binding around the bevel?

I cut the channel in sections, and slightly shallower than the binding depth. I use an angle-adjustable router base, and adjust the router depth and angle for each section. Then I tidy up to depth with a sharp craft knife and straight edge.

Wood binding, what wood and size might work best? How do I deal with the tight bends? Am I better off sticking with plastic.

For plastic binding I use a hair dryer to warm and soften as I bend it around the body profile, and use the same for the chamfer transition. I’ve never used wood binding, mainly because my chamfers are curved rather than flat bevels. I imaging that with a perfectly flat bevel you could simply join two sections at the bevel transition. @wezv will know better than me.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    edited January 2023
    You can go up to about 1/4" thick, but definitely need some relief cuts under the bevel at that thickness. Whereas 2-3mm will bend with a bit of heat and steam. It does totally depend on wood type, grain and figure though, don't force anything and take your time.

With wooden binding, a hot pipe can be used to bend it. A bit of copper pipe and a blow torch is fine for bending. You may struggle with a compound bend like this so doing the bevel as a separate bit can help. You can also consider putting the strips in a tube and steaming them. Again, wood type, grain and figure will affect success
  • @Roland and @WezV ;
    Thank you both for your advice.
    Awesome. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1525
    I can't offer any advice on this but looking forward to seeing the build!!
  • @davros ;
    Thanks. It might be a while.
    It takes me a long time to build a guitar as I only have a router and a bunch of hand tools working in a regular garden shed. Probably 6 months for this one. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    edited January 2023
    Just remembered I did a thread on this with a difficult piece of wood, unbound though 

• @WezV ;
    That's a great thread. I like a light guitar, my last 2 builds have been Paulownia so that weight relief guidance is very valuable.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    Have a look at the link below, it's not super Start but a Jazzmaster. When I'm bending the cap over the body, I normally take a couple of days gradually easing it down, making it wet every so often to help. 

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/231300/thinline-jazzmaster-with-body-curves#latest

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• @GSPBASSES ;
    Thanks for that. How thick do you think that cap was?
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2397
    tFB Trader
    It was just over 3mm, normally my caps are 4-5mm, but this was the first time I've used Alder as a droptop. I wasn't sure how it would bend. The only other time I would use 3mm caps on a droptop is if I'm using Quilted Maple as it doesn't like being bent, quite often it will split along the quilt lines.  

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/