Line Out Compatibility Question?

What's Hot
OK, I understand this might be extremely obvious to a lot of you on here, but I thought I'd better check first, mainly because I'm a tight Git.

My Roland Cube 80XL can connect to an external speaker if I so wish.

To quote the manual EXACTLY

"When connecting to an external speaker, make sure the speaker conforms to the following specifications"

Impedance 8 OHMS or less

Allowable Power Input: 80 Watts or greater.

So I have a Bogner Goldfinger 2X12 Cab to go with the Bogner Head, the cab contains 1 X G12 H30 and 1 G12M Greenback. So I assume I will only have an allowable power input of 50 watts here???

I take it I am likely to have to spend some cash????

Some tech savvy bods round here might know a way I can work it, or not as the case may be.

Thank you.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Yes, the power rating of the cab is 50W. But what impedance is it? This may make a difference to how much power the amp will put out. A 16-ohm cab will draw less power from the amp, probably around 50W. (And it will be safe, despite being 'more' than 8 ohms.)

Also, Celestions tend to be conservatively rated, and the Roland is unlikely to be, so as long as you don't really crank it - if you can still get a completely clean sound at the volume you intend to play at, you won't be - then it's probably safe even if the cab is 8 ohms.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Yes, the power rating of the cab is 50W. But what impedance is it? This may make a difference to how much power the amp will put out. A 16-ohm cab will draw less power from the amp, probably around 50W. (And it will be safe, despite being 'more' than 8 ohms.)

Also, Celestions tend to be conservatively rated, and the Roland is unlikely to be, so as long as you don't really crank it - if you can still get a completely clean sound at the volume you intend to play at, you won't be - then it's probably safe even if the cab is 8 ohms.
    Cheers ICBM, the Cab is 8 OHMS.

I did wonder, like you said, about if the Amp was only turned up halfway. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions. It will be fun looking for an additional cab though and trying the Bogner through it too.

*rubs hands together*

:)
    I did wonder, like you said, about if the Amp was only turned up halfway.
    Yes - although 'halfway' can be misleading because most amps reach full volume before the knob is all the way up, so 'halfway' may be nearer full power than you think - knowing how the Roland is built I think it's very unlikely that it will deliver the sort of power that say an 80W Orange would! Given that if you're playing clean it's unlikely to exceed half the full power on average - and the same if you use a distorted sound at  the same volume - I would say you're probably going to be safe, and putting less than 40W into the cab.

I might not risk it at a very loud gig when it can be difficult to tell when the amp goes above that sort of power, but otherwise I would.

Still, another cab would be fun too :).

If you want to keep the same sort of sound, maybe try a Celestion Creamback G12M-65 and G12H-75 combination - that should be similar but will be rated for 130W, which is easily enough. Or for a more 'modern' sound, try a V30 and a Classic Lead 80, or a V30 and a G12T-75.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for clarifying that and thanks for the speaker matchings info. The Cube does need to sound "Bigger" and if gigs come along, which I hope they will, the scenario you mentioned might be ok with the existing cab, cos it's a pretty loud amp for average sized pubs etc.

It's weird, but I somehow imagine my 45 watt Bogner filling a room better than my 80 watt Cube, simply down to the 2 speaker set up in the cab as opposed to 1 speaker in the combo. I haven't tried that obviously, at home volumes, but I just imagine that to be the case. I could be completely wrong.

I have to admit to already having a good nosey on the Celestion website, so I can see where my GASometer wants this to go, but I'll have to calm my urges down a bit or it will turn into "Another Great Cab for the Bogner that just happens to accept the Cube"

=P~
    edited September 2014
    It's weird, but I somehow imagine my 45 watt Bogner filling a room better than my 80 watt Cube, simply down to the 2 speaker set up in the cab as opposed to 1 speaker in the combo. I haven't tried that obviously, at home volumes, but I just imagine that to be the case. I could be completely wrong.
    No - you're not wrong. Valve amps have a dynamic power and room-filling presence that totally belies their actual power, compared to solid-state amps of the same rating. The Cube won't even come close to the Bogner, despite being nearly twice as powerful on paper. There are good physics/electronics reasons for this, even though in terms of measurable power the wattage figures are correct. There's far more to volume than watts.

But it's important to remember that the *actual* power ratings are what matter to the speaker, and that if anything solid-state amps are harder on speakers than valve ones, so if you do run the Cube through the Bogner cab, don't crank it.

• ICBM said:
    No - you're not wrong. Valve amps have a dynamic power and room-filling presence that totally belies their actual power, compared to solid-state amps of the the same rating. The Cube won't even come close to the Bogner, despite being nearly twice as powerful on paper. There are good physics/electronics rating for this, even though in terms of measurable power the wattage figures are correct. There's far more to volume than watts.

But it's important to remember that the *actual* power ratings are what matter to the speaker, and that if anything solid-state amps are harder on speakers than valve ones, so if you do run the Cube through the Bogner cab, don't crank it.
    I thought as much, even at the lowish volumes I am constrained to, you can just sort of "Feel the difference".

Oh well, time to get looking without getting carried away, now there's a challenge.

:-)
  • Zilla's look quite reasonably priced, what say any of you?
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    edited September 2014
    I've got a mini modern and absolutely love it. A few people mentioned on the old MR forum they were untidy on the inside but mine's pristine. I had a g12h30 fitted and it cost me £330 delivered.

The matching cab for the egnater I had at the time would have cost just under that closer to the 300 mark. Going for the Zilla got me a custom cab made in the UK instead of an off the shelf unit made in China.

Here's a pic of mine hanging with my Jooky Esquire

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/jwsproductions/9437538044/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Sorry, saw OP and was going to say you really need 5 options in any lineout and one of the back rowers needs to be a world class middle/back option like Tom Wood or Julien Bonnaire. But then I decided not to.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage;360270" said:
    Sorry, saw OP and was going to say you really need 5 options in any lineout and one of the back rowers needs to be a world class middle/back option like Tom Wood or Julien Bonnaire. But then I decided not to.
    Choked on my muesli. :D
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Dunno why...I speak sense and I'm not happy with Loutney Chores running the England line out options.....the bloke is so dumb he couldn't pour water out of his boots if the instructions were on the sole.....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage;360270" said:
    If you're eating muesli at 0953 in the morning you must be on a good kind of flexitime ;)
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Damn, I thought more Zilla info was coming my way, then again I'muesli wrong.

Is there an actual human being called Loutney Chores? Is he the one who gets dunked underneath the water in that big bath after the match?
  • Gassage;360270" said:
    If you're eating muesli at 0953 in the morning you must be on a good kind of flexitime ;)
    Late shift today. 7-8 tomorrow :(