Radius of Stainless Fretwire

What's Hot
Planning on a refret of an old neck to use as a test bed before proceeding with others.
Going with jumbo stainless (probably the Jescar 57110 from ToneTech) and wanted to check if the frets should be over-radiused, say 250mm for a 300mm neck, or should they be radiused the same as the neck due to material memory?
Many thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    ToneTech send their fretwire coiled up in a box. The coil hanging on my workshop wall has a 10” radius, so it might have unwound slightly. I’ve just used it for a 12” radius neck. I don’t worry about it.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Is that Stainless fretwire you have there Roland?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    I wouldn't overbend SS.

With NS the overbend is important.  It means the end tangs go in first, then get pushed sideways as the middle comes down, effectively locking the fret in place

SS is more likely to spring back to the smaller radius.  It's best to match the board radius as closely as possible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    WezV said:
    I wouldn't overbend SS.

With NS the overbend is important.  It means the end tangs go in first, then get pushed sideways as the middle comes down, effectively locking the fret in place

SS is more likely to spring back to the smaller radius.  It's best to match the board radius as closely as possible.
    I had a guitar refretted recently and this is exactly what he said about radiusing stainless steel. I asked because I was curious
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    Is that Stainless fretwire you have there Roland?
    Jescar EVO Gold. 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Many thanks all.