Filing nut slots - cost effective tools for the job

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Thanks for the advice guys.

I have new Graphtech nuts on the way for the two guitars that need them, and allegedly these come pre-slotted and just need the bottoms filing to the right height. We'll see about that.

If that doesn't work, I'll just bite the bullet on the Hosco ones and some cheap bone nuts off amazon and give it a go.

Worst that can happen is I have to get more bone nuts and have another go.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwixeryTwixery Frets: 18
    I tried cheap file sets, jewellers files, pipe cleaners... inconsistent results and not confidence inspiring. 

Took the plunge few years back and bought stewmac 6 piece set - 10 to 42 - one of the best guitar specific tools I have bought.  Tools that do a specific job are always a pleasure to use except if the job is unpleasant. 

Tusq nuts are good. website has nut sizes and example guitars it will fit.

I most times remove the cheap plastic factory nut and keep it in my special place - useful as a template for shaping and dimensions. 

Take your time, check slot height regularly.  Plan your approach before you start...  I mainly follow Dan Erlwin's books and have also tried techniques found on YouTube, forums and behind the sofa.

Have fun.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2492
    Nut files are also called Joint Round Egde files, they're pretty specific which is why they're pricey. If you fancy ordering some from Japan

https://www.plazajapan.com/upc-3/
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Nut files are also called Joint Round Egde files, they're pretty specific which is why they're pricey. If you fancy ordering some from Japan

https://www.plazajapan.com/upc-3/
    No import duty on anything under £135 now too yay brexit

@Twixery I am a tusq evangelist

Keefy said:
    roberty said:
    @Keefy @Devil#20 maybe I'll give it a go one day. The idea of it being permanent frightens me off. I have slightly lowered a slot before with a bit of sandpaper wrapped around a string, that worked well
    Rob, you're more than welcome to bring some guitars over to Swindon and use my nut files under my (in-)expert supervision. Obvs you will need your passport...
    Thank you I may take you up on that one day
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2441
    I bought these early last year, I was strapped for cash so bought 2 per month, they paid for themselves after the first guitar!
    they have done 8 nuts and 2 sets of notchless brass abr1 saddles so far. 
    the 0.010 and 0.013 are very thin so would be a good idea to glue a splint of some kind along the length for stability.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324958927136?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2CqW-pdbQIe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=ZGLXTp8mTlG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
  • Proof that sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.

New graptech nuts came today. Spent an age trying to remove the old plastic nut from my Bullet Mustang and in the process took a chip of the laurel out of the headstock side of the nut channel. Bit of nail glue and it's back in place and you'd never know.

Anyway, while it was out, curiosity got the better of me, so I used feeler gauges to get the height of the first fret and then another feeler gauge blade or two extra. I used this wad and lined them up with the bottom of the string slots on the nut and marked a straight line across. Then I got the depth of the nut channel and added this measurement below that first line and marked across. This gave me a rough idea of ideal height of the nut.

Then it was a simple case of slowly filing the bottom of the nut with a rasp file to lower the height of the entire nut by about three-quarters of a mm.

Nut went back in and guess what? All of my first fret notes are in tune, with the original nut.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader

I have new Graphtech nuts on the way for the two guitars that need them, and allegedly these come pre-slotted and just need the bottoms filing to the right height.
    We'll see about that.

I would not rely upon preslotted/molded grooves being ready to play even if you get the height down via sanding the base. Often the slots are not angled as you'd need them and sometimes will cause sitar-ing till you cut a backwards angled slot

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom