You can't play bass.... underrated bass players

What's Hot
What say you?

Nick Beggs for me, hugely underrated IMO, maybe something to do with the era/genre he's most known for...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12505
    Kim Deal for me.  She freely admits to being a very basic level bass player so she consciously didn’t over play and the result were seriously cool bass lines which drove the pixies sound. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27612
    Adam Clayton. Keeps it simple a lot of the time because that's all the songs need.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10517
    Adam Clayton. Keeps it simple a lot of the time because that's all the songs need.
    Absolutely .... he is the driving force of that band. The sonic imprint of a band IS the bass and drums. People think all you have to do is play as tight as possible to the drummer and that's enough but it's actually the way the bass and drums play together in the own way with those small deviations that create something special. Something you can't create just by quantising the bass to the drums .... it's a human thing and Adam if fantastic at it. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Absolutely .... he is the driving force of that band. The sonic imprint of a band IS the bass and drums. People think all you have to do is play as tight as possible to the drummer and that's enough but it's actually the way the bass and drums play together in the own way with those small deviations that create something special. Something you can't create just by quantising the bass to the drums .... it's a human thing and Adam if fantastic at it. 
    Completely agree. And frankly Edge is the also much more locked in with those two than in most bands. It's why so many people covering them sound awful.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    What say you?

Nick Beggs for me, hugely underrated IMO, maybe something to do with the era/genre he's most known for...
    He's not underrated by bass players!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72945
    Adam Clayton. He’s not only essential to U2 and his bass parts are the perfect example of playing for the song, he’s actively put down by bass snobs. He has great timing, feel and tone.

John Taylor used to be as well, but is now more recognised as the brilliant bassist he is. Bernard Edwards rated him highly, what more do you need?

Nick Beggs too, but I think a bit more recognised as good. Fun fact - I used to own his MXR chorus pedal, quite likely used on Too Shy :). A friend has it now…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 588
    John Taylor? Because Duran Duran were portrayed as pretty boys rather than musicians. Maybe the same goes for Martin Kemp.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4984
    Chris Squire - only prog fans and bass players know him.
    edited January 2023
    prowla said:
    Chris Squire - only prog fans and bass players know him.
    Consistently in the top-5s of "best bassist" lists though. Also prog is rubbish :P 

(and surely the only bassists non-musos know are McCartney and Flea)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    What say you?

Underrated?????? I think not!

Nick is massively rated. He won Classic rock society's best bassist for (at least!) 4 years in a row. Has played on many acclaimed albums with many acclaimed artists. Is one of the Prog icons of bass playing. Take a look at this Farcebook video (if it works). Nick being a nutcase as usual!

https://www.facebook.com/nickbeggsofficial/videos/560891637763808
  • Horace Panter 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14722
    Danny Thompson (and the inimitable "Victoria").
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1406
    DonnyMac said:
    Horace Panter 
    I was just about to mention him.
    Saw a recent Specials concert on TV (following Terry Hall's death) and my jaw dropped. I had no idea UK ska was so demanding bass wise (I'll add the guy out of Madness as well).
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11410
    I was listening to some ZZ Top on the way in to work this morning and it struck that Dusty Hill had a thunderous bottom end (fnarr). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 7249
    Geezer Butler.  An absolutely ferocious playing style, with a sense of timing and harmony which was essential to the sound of Black Sabbath.
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 151
    Under-rated is a difficult term, but almost unrated- I'd mention Pat Badger of Extreme. Keeping up with Nuno in terms of all those unison riffs is no easy feat but there are a few great basslines amongst all the riffs. 

Cupid's Dead comes to mind, also tragic comic- Which is a wonderfully simple major triad riff over 4 chords but works brilliantly
  • John Deacon

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    DonnyMac said:
    Horace Panter 
    and can I add Mark Bedford of Madness.

Guy Pratt of Pink Floyd
  • Love a bit of Billy Talbot from Crazy Horse , loose , laid back and lovely tone