Magnificent Songs!

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6245

Music and songs that stir the blood or bring big man tears to your eyes or make your jaw hit the floor because of there vast brilliance, vision and execution. Songs that make you proud to play them, that define a generation, that gird your loins, that reach into your soul and rip it... oh.. you know what I mean.

How about this for a starter? 

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2040
    Yep, that's a stunner. New Steven Wilson album soon, hopefully - back in the studio with the same band.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10415
    Will you by Hazel O'Connor still moves me immensely even after all these years.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • MistergMisterg Frets: 353
    Probably get shot down, but for a few poigniant reasons, this:

• Save Me by Queen - the original is great but the best version of this is on the Queen Rock Montreal CD. Spine tinglingly beautiful.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6245
    Save Me by Queen - the original is great but the best version of this is on the Queen Rock Montreal CD. Spine tinglingly beautiful.
    Just watched the live footage of that in Montreal.. bloody hell that was good, I've got goosebumps when Brian May started on the guitar.
    It's funny in that it is so easy to forget just how good Brian May was/is. His playing and tone are just exceptional in that clip.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • The Downtown Lights by the Blue Nile. Truly beautiful....
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited September 2014
    I quite like this .... chosen a live version. The album version is ace.

Typical tasteful guitar solo at the end ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1343
    Really captivated by the video in the OP.  It reminded me of Bedshaped by Keane, perhaps because of the style of the video and the somber subject matter.  Whilst not the sort of music which I listen to a lot, or play at all, I don't really like Keane much either, but I do still think Bedshaped is magnificent.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12519
    richardhomer;361599" said:
    The Downtown Lights by the Blue Nile. Truly beautiful....
    Yes it is beautiful.

I love Blue Nile stuff, such angst and emotion packed into relatively simple songs and sung with such intensity.

But actually, that's "loved" now, past tense. It's all inextricably linked with the relationship with my ex wife and I simply can't listen to it any more.
    :(
  • boogieman;364499" said:
    But actually, that's "loved" now, past tense. It's all inextricably linked with the relationship with my ex wife and I simply can't listen to it any more.
    :(
    "Peace at Last" falls into a similar category for me....
  • That Steven Wilson track is fantastic @equalsql really moving.

I'll chuck in a few.

10 minutes of Musical Genius here.

A masterpiece from The Beach Boys.

Nice chilling track from Chris White with great visuals.

More Prog ;-)

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    edited September 2014
    This always gets me. Rae & Christian are great and Sharleens vocal on this is stunning. It's on Texas's own album as well.

This reminds me of a bitter-sweet point in my life. I read that the video was shot in just one take and that it was horizontal (everything was lead down) but made to appear vertical.

Just perfect. Song writing at its best.

I know I'll get slated for this (or just ignored) but I was in the crowd for this and at exactly 4m 06secs in this clip I proposed to my wife - she said yes and everyone I was with went boo-loo. Magical 

(the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Extreme - More Than Words. I'm a Nuno fanboy so I've got all their albums etc, but their best known song still gives me goosebumps; that percussive guitar and the glorious Everly Bros style harmonies...

Boston - Peace of Mind. Again, love the harmonies/layered vocals in this, and the riff could almost be Lindsey Buckingham. Lyrically as well, there's an important message which resonates with me, especially after a stressful episode with work last year.

• When I read the first post this song sprang to mind straight away. Parting of the sensory - modest mouse. At different points pretty, strident and visceral.