Remove tolex and recover Fender Excelsior

What's Hot
As part of my loft clearing, I've been reminded of my Fender Excelsior cabinet in the loft. I picked it up for nothing from the lovely gentleman Koneguitarist a good while back, the amp is not there but has an input to use as cab. I used it for a while with a Bluguitar Amp1 but found at home I was better using monitor speakers at home. Still, I like to keep an amp just in case I get to play out in public, currently I have a Thomann GPA power amp thing though I've never used it in anger. 

There's a few marks on the tolex, but it almost looks a bit like the tolex is kind of peeling back on itself a bit, hard to explain but a bit like a slim shirt when you've put on a bit of weight.

Is it worth trying to remove the tolex and look to recover it with something else? I'm guessing a hairdryer to warm it up? Or could I cover over the top of the existing tolex?

Or should i just look to pass on the cab to somebody who can actually do it? I don't have a great history of DIY type tasks :)

Picture of the cab just because

I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    That's going to be a pig to do - all those corners and recesses are very difficult to get tight. If you think it looks bad now, it will then look like a baggy shirt on someone who's lost weight.

Given that they're not a very high-quality cabinet underneath anyway, I would strongly advise don't bother. If you have to pay someone to do it properly you may end up spending more than on a decent cabinet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    edited January 2023
    Thanks yeah that makes sense. I'm not very good with practical stuff.

Could I strip it and varnish it instead maybe? I can brush on a ronseal vanish as well as the next guy
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494

Could I strip it and varnish it instead maybe? I can brush on a ronseal vanish as well as the next guy
    Not unless you want it to look even worse, the cabinet is a particularly horrible particle-board underneath...

If you were going to do it in textured cabinet paint - the sort of thing a lot of modern PA cabs are done in - that might work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wow thats quite a striking look isn't it. Reminds me of brutalist concrete architecture.

Thank you for warning me off it :) Looks like the cab is on the way out the door then unfortunately!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    edited January 2023
    My local Fender dealership had an Excelsior and another design from the same era named Ramparte. The latter's wallpaper-like covering was peeling while the amp stood in the shop. I cannot honestly remember whether it sold before the proprietor retired and new management took over.

Best to leave the Excelsior as is. If challenged, say it is Road Worn. Better yet, remove the loudspeaker and use the cabinet as a toy box if/when you and your better half reproduce.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    Thanks Nigel - yes from googling I am finding this series of amps were not really up to much on the build quality. Always liked the Ramparte looks but sounds a nightmare if already peeling.

No, I think I shall look to pass on the original favour as it owes me nothing and I can probably sell my power amp thing also, less stuff to move if we do, boom
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2676
    edited January 2023
    Plaster it with stickers and make it look like a roadworn, well-travelled suitcase!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom