Using a HX Stomp XL to control a strymon pedal via midi

What's Hot
hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
edited January 2023 in Digital & Modelling
I’ve got a strymon sunset on my board and bought the appropriate midi cable to connect it to my HX Stomp XL with hopes of setting it all up to recall various settings on the sunset via midi.

I spent several hours the other day trawling through manuals for both the HX and the Sunset to try and get some basic control via midi, and eventually managed to save a preset on the sunset and recall it with a midi program message from the HX.

The issue i’m having is that I would like to save TWO presets on the sunset and then use ONE button on my HX to toggle between the two presets (the same way a channel select switch works on an amp, for example).

When playing live I currently have a button to trigger the fx loop send and engage the sunset, but i manually switch between the two channels on the Sunset depending on which setting i want. I want this all programmed to midi so that I don't have to worry about the Sunset knobs moving, and so that I’m dancing around my pedalboard less during gigs.

If I can only make the helix recall one preset then midi control is no use to me because all my other buttons are in use for other effects and I need at least 2 presets on the sunset..

It seems to me like a very basic feature to be able to tell the HX stomp to send two different MIDI messages when a button is toggled on or off (or cycle through a list of messages on every button press?). However I don’t know if i may be missing something obvious so i’m hoping someone on here may have done something similar.

Sorry for the long post and thanks if you read this far!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Still having no luck with this so bumping just in case anyone has any ideas!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    edited February 2023
    I don't think you can "stack" Midi commands on one Helix switch in the way you're looking for. You need a controller that can assign different midi messages ie. PC or CC messages to different action types eg. Press, long press, double tap etc...

You might, however, be able to achieve what you're looking to do in the Helix Command Centre using instant commands.
    Set your footswitch to turn the Sunset on/off and use instant commands to change the Sunset preset/ status when you change snapshots. 
    I use instant commands to pull up various presets on a Boss SY200 depending on which Helix preset I select. The on/off status of the effects loop block in the HX Stomp is tied to snapshots (again with instant commands) so I never even have to touch the SY200.
    For example, if I load my "Bad Habits" preset on the HX Stomp, it loads the relevant preset on the SY200. If I select snapshot 1, the SY200 is active. When I select snapshot's 2 or 3, the SY200 is out of the chain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3679

I’m not familiar with the HX Stomp but I do use a full-fat Helix and I’ve also done a lot of work on my bandmates HX Effects.

HX Edit is your friend here.  In Snapshot mode you can assign Instant Commands (the little lightning bolts on the top row in the Edit Command Centre window) to either MIDI Programme Change (PC) or Continuous Controller (CC) messages and you can have more than one per Snapshot.  In Stomp mode you can assign a footswitch to either PC or CC (CC can be toggle so that it switches between two states) but you can only control one function per footswitch.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom