Pickup wiring insight..

What's Hot
Hi Chaps,

Now that I've finally started to understand this stuff and have done some work on some of my guitars I have a question..

From a pickup wiring perspective is is better to keep the shield/earth cables as short as possible from the pickup cable outer sheath and have a longer hot wire to the selector or doesn't it matter? Just thinking from a noise perspective..

Hope this makes sense..

Si
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    Keep the unscreened wires as short as possible. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2778
    Best practice in general wiring is to keep earth connections longer than anything else, if the cable is pulled then the last thing to break will be the earth and the circuit and user are protected. I don’t think that matters too much in guitars, but if anything you’d want the signal wires as short as possible so there’s less of an “antennae” to pick up noise
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    From a pickup wiring perspective is is better to keep the shield/earth cables as short as possible from the pickup cable outer sheath and have a longer hot wire to the selector or doesn't it matter? Just thinking from a noise perspective..
    No, the other way round. For the lowest noise you want the shield to go as close to where the core is connected as possible while avoiding a risk of shorting against the terminal.

If you want to really go to the extreme, you can sleeve the shield with thin heatshrink, and then a larger piece over the joint to make sure it's all covered, then you can get the shield pretty much right up to the terminal.

Alternatively, if the cavity itself is well-shielded, it doesn't matter at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    I would just prioritise making a short as unlikely as possible from any physical movement