Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your favourite blues tunes

What's Hot
2»

Comments

•  https://youtu.be/ZWZoX7Vszq0

One of the greatest. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Son House - Grinning In Your Face is a fave of mine too, already posted.

Love the feverish, hypnotic old blues tunes such as this:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    Again, very difficult to choose but I'll go for:

Freddie King - I'm Tore Down (Federal version)

Fleetwood Mac - Jumpin' at Shadows from Live in Boston (Vol 1 Version)

B.B. King - It's My Own Fault from Live at the Regal.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10018
    I really do think that kind of trance like hypnotic feel of the really old blues music was lost in the translation to the blues influenced rock like Clapton and the others who I can't quite think of the names just now. I kind of think of old blues music like "sitting down" music, where they are so totally in the zone of the song, completely zoned out of anything else and just singing and playing with their whole heart in that moment. Warts and all, timing is usually all over the place and all the better for it. Not the kind of organised perfectly timed attempt to tastefully play licks and solos with a few vocal sections in between. 

It just hits harder in these really old recordings
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    I really do think that kind of trance like hypnotic feel of the really old blues music was lost in the translation to the blues influenced rock like Clapton and the others who I can't quite think of the names just now. I kind of think of old blues music like "sitting down" music, where they are so totally in the zone of the song, completely zoned out of anything else and just singing and playing with their whole heart in that moment. Warts and all, timing is usually all over the place and all the better for it. Not the kind of organised perfectly timed attempt to tastefully play licks and solos with a few vocal sections in between. 

Agreed. It's 'feel' above everything else. A self-contained dimension of direct, raw life experience. People copy the notes and timing in a bid to emulate the sound but for me this music is a direct expression of those life experiences of a certain time and culture - without that the core essence is missing. That's not to say I don't enjoy some blues-influenced rock... but it just ain't the same.  

Mississippi John Hurt is one of my faves - if I could go back and meet any of the greats it'd be him. He spells it out in the intro to this live version of Jesus On The Mainline...

• rlwrlw Frets: 4773

Totally agree.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I really do think that kind of trance like hypnotic feel of the really old blues music was lost in the translation to the blues influenced rock like Clapton and the others who I can't quite think of the names just now. I kind of think of old blues music like "sitting down" music, where they are so totally in the zone of the song, completely zoned out of anything else and just singing and playing with their whole heart in that moment. Warts and all, timing is usually all over the place and all the better for it. Not the kind of organised perfectly timed attempt to tastefully play licks and solos with a few vocal sections in between. 

Agreed, this is why I like Cedric Burnside .. quite rough, imperfections, but a lot of attitude. Guitars verge on African style desert blues.