SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

1982 Gibson ES-335 Dot Re-issue - Natural - Amazing condition / Shaw Pickup

What's Hot
CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4311
edited April 2023 in Guitars £
1982 es335 in exceptionally good condition. With original case, doc’s and bill of sale from a store in NY. 

No breaks, issues, anything, just a superb playing and sounding guitar that will just keep going up in value. This era is considered as one of the best since the late 50’s early 60’s and this guitar definitely validates that view. In the most sought after Natural finish. Lovely neck profile, somewhere between a 50’s and 60’s.

Original Shaw pickups are properly brilliant. It has had the original harness swapped for an RS Guitar Works set, as the original 300k pots were a poor choice by Gibson. Not just a recommended mod, totally essential to get the best out of these guitars, the other advantage being pots that are actually usable! Original harness is fully intact and will be supplied with the guitar. 

Bridge/tailpiece also swapped for the straight drop in Faber parts. Originals are in the case. Basically, no mods on the guitar that are not 100% reversible. 

Really an absolutely superb old Gibson. Nice light weight, very lively sounding unplugged and plays effortlessly. Took this in a trade, already have a ‘66 335 which I acquired fairly recently, but still going to really hate seeing this leave…

Not massively keen to post it, but PM to discuss options.

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 727
    Well that’s rather lovely! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4311
    It really is Bruce... Very strong feelings towards keeping it, however that would not really help the strategy of getting down to a couple of guitars….  :s
  • richierichie Frets: 90
    I recently acquired a sunburst one of these and can vouch for theiir awesomeness 
  • Ah man, that's a birth year guitar for me. Absolutely stunning. If I have a big scratch card win I'll be straight in touch!
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1678
    Lovely. I’ve got an ‘84 with Shaw pickups that I’ve rewired with 500K pots. What difference did the Faber bridge and tailpiece make? I’ve occasionally considered doing that on mine. 
    @springhead  can’t vouch for the before and after tones, as the new bridge was already on the guitar. However the original bridge is in the case, and well……..  Just go, right now, RUN, and get a new one is all I would say…..  Must have been the same guy that decided on the 300k pots….
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2464
    a beaut
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 171
    I used to sell these when they were new, they are great guitars! GLWTS
    @Zoonyboy.  Aye man, they are great instruments, has a beautiful singing sustain and plays so easily. I have generally hardened myself to letting nice guitars go, but this one is definitely giving me grief... Had withdrawn it once already, and it’s only been a few days  =)
  • svejksvejk Frets: 148
    I have exactly this guitar, same year, same colour, same pots rewire. I have owned it since 1989, and it will never leave me! Phenomenal guitar, and every time I come back to it, I'm reminded how much better it sounds than pretty much anything. Yours looks shinier than mine, and mine lost its pickguard before it came to me. Hard recommend, good luck with the sale...or keep it!
    Still here folks. Exceptional 335.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Still here. Still amazing. 
    Still here folks. Treat yourself to a phenomenal 335. I have had 4 historic 335 re-issues in recent years, and whilst all were good, I would definitely put this above all of them.
  • Norlin4lifeNorlin4life Frets: 338
    Do you happen to know how much it weighs? I was offered this from it’s previous owner last year but unfortunately it was bad timing. Utterly stunning 335
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5189
    What a beauty. Do you know the neck measurements? I’ve played a few Dot Reissues and they’ve all had a slim flat-backed neck, definitely 60s style. Yours may be different of course. 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    Hi Guys,

- Weight is 8.2lbs on my luggage scales. Feels very light and particularly well balanced when seated or on strap.

- I don’t have callipers, but; Neck profile is definitely not like the regular 60’s necks. It is not that big down the nut end, seems medium to me, but has a fairly big taper and is reasonably chunky up around the 12th fret, but without big shoulders. The best I can do, is say it is somewhere between a 50’s and 60’s profile. Very appealing profile to me, never gets in the way.

Any other questions, give me a shout.
    Bump and price drop.