NEW Ebay September fees. The end of ebay sales for me.

What's Hot
Last moth I've sold on ebay my US Jackson for 1260£ and paid 75£ in ebay fees. This month I've sold my second Jackson for the same amount of 1260£ and paid 125£ fees + 6£ postage fees (new fee). And still have to pay 70£ to paypal. 

I guess that's the end of my ebay sales. I understand need of sale fees but that's just greedy. 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yeah...this is basically why I sell via this place instead. If it goes for a lower price, it usually won't be less than the eBay price minus their fees anyway; if I'm not going to see the money, I'd at least prefer that the buyer sees a discount. At least then there's a chance that one of us won't be pissed off...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Totally ridiculous fees, definitely :(
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    Praise Allah I sold my Mark V on there last month. 

This sucks. 
  • Good to know I shall try and avoid it where possible now.
    Old Is Gold
  • Thing is though, you're cutting out a big market!
  • 13% sales commission doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31262
    I'd rather take 5% less know it'll go to a decent person, and do it on here. It also means that I know where the item will end up should I wish to beg for it back. I also get fed up of eBay taking control of my bank acct should there be a dispute.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• When I started using ebay years ago (haven't used it for years now) - I used to bid on things if I like them. 
    Now it seems people wait until the very last minute!
  • The new way is to somehow establish contact with the seller and do a deal off ebay. The auction then disappears before the end. Ebay of course are working hard to combat that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I advertise on Ebay but hope that no-one picks the BIN but I set the price a little high in case someone does.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    patrickp said:
    Last moth I've sold on ebay my US Jackson for 1260£ and paid 75£ in ebay fees. This month I've sold my second Jackson for the same amount of 1260£ and paid 125£ fees + 6£ postage fees (new fee). And still have to pay 70£ to paypal. 

I guess that's the end of my ebay sales. I understand need of sale fees but that's just greedy. 
    £ sign before the number. Just sayin .....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That's why I took my Prs off there, no way was I paying all those fees. Low price stuff is fine but even then the fees are stupid.
  • Did I read that ending the auction early still incites the final value fee?

Also they're just putting personal and business accounts in line. Stops people who are making a profit on overpriced ES335s and Les Pauls!
  • Did I read that ending the auction early still incites the final value fee?

Yes in some situations.  Read the whole thing here -  http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/end_early.html

"We strongly discourage sellers to end listings early because it undermines the trust buyers have in the eBay platform. eBay buyers are told that their bids are binding. Equally, buyers expect the auctions they bid on to conclude successfully.

If you end an auction early and buyers have already placed bids, you may be charged a fee. This fee is the same as a final value fee, based on the item price when you ended the auction.

You won't pay a fee if you cancel your auction within the first 24 hours of listing your item, or if we have to end your auction.

Ending a listing early for the following reasons is prohibited as it is consideredfee avoidance:

• Cancelling bids and ending a listing early because the reserve price hasn't been met to avoid reserve fees. See Reserve Price Policy.

• Cancelling bids and ending a listing early in order to sell the item off-eBay. You should be aware that as well as avoiding fees, you risk fraud by selling items off the eBay website. If a member writes to you to ask you to sell away from the eBay website, please report them to us."

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    tFB Trader
    its a crock of shit really, I've just worked out that with all the fees if i sell an item on ebay for £77 inc postage i actually get £66 after postage thats £59 to me. It really isn't worth selling on ebay any more........
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1354
    thorpy6 said:
    its a crock of shit really, I've just worked out that with all the fees if i sell an item on ebay for £77 inc postage i actually get £66 after postage thats £59 to me. It really isn't worth selling on ebay any more........
    I'm the same.  I'll buy, but never sell.  The fees are ridiculous now.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    edited September 2014
    I don't think the fees are the problem, because if you weigh it up you can sometimes still make more money and sell faster vs other avenues even with the new fees.  The bigger issue is that as a seller if you sell to a "bad buyer" you're likely to get stuffed.

Personally I still try to sell here first, because it works out the best way for me (least hassle, and I ask prices I'm happy to sell at).  But on the occasions where here has been unsuccessful I've often sold really quickly on eBay and for more money even after fees.
  • The new way is to somehow establish contact with the seller and do a deal off ebay. The auction then disappears before the end. Ebay of course are working hard to combat that.
    Oh!
  • Holy cow. I haven't sold on ebay for a while, but last time I did there was a cap on final value fees of about £40.

ebay is ripe for disruption. Come on Google!
  • Reverb.com probably comes closest?