The Tragically Hip

What's Hot
JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
I'm surprised that a quick use of the search box on here brought no relevant results back.

I'm in my mid 50's and English, some of my best memories involve them.

Great guitar interplay, great vocalist. A Canadian REM but arguably better, argue away!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My brother moved to Canada 20 years ago, so I’ve heard a lot about ‘The Hip’. They certainly have a few good songs but the singer is an acquired taste, though that opinion might actually be a capital offence over there…Little Bones is one of my favourites. 

Despite not loving his voice, Gord Downie definitely lived up to his legendary status while going through his battle with cancer. Lots of respect. 

• Fiddler's Green is a beautiful song.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1565
    Certainly a better name than rem, imo. But that's a hellova back catalogue to compete with. And can they do that thing wherehe acts like Gollum / Eminem in Stan with just his acoustic guitar? I think not. ;)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5518
    Excellent band, great songwriters. Flagged a bit in their later years creatively I think but still a Canadian national treasure.

'Fully Completely' was the high-water mark for me, although Day For Night and Trouble At The Henhouse both *almost* maintained the quality, so it was only after that that they got a little less interesting to me.

Still would see them whenever I could when they came through London.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10018
    The only song of theirs I know is Fiddlers Green, and I don't even think I've heard their version of that to be fair. Which album should I listen to so as to get familiar?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5518
    edited January 2023
    The only song of theirs I know is Fiddlers Green, and I don't even think I've heard their version of that to be fair. Which album should I listen to so as to get familiar?
    Fiddler's Green is off of Road Apples which is the first album where they started to find their own thing more consistently IMO - before that Up To Here and their self-titled EP were a bit "Canuck bar rock" - a few catchy tunes though and definitely some live favourites on them.

As I mentioned above Fully Completely -> Day For Night -> Trouble At The Henhouse is the best three-album run in their discography. Very very honourable mentions go to the next two albums, Music At Work and Phantom Power which have some superb tunes on them.

You may have to overlook some of the Canadian cultural references the songs are rife with - lyrically they are often history lessons about Canada, and might be a bit esoteric to someone who didn't grow up or at least live there long enough to immerse themselves in the lore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7cSgxX0dp0

I was at this show, it was quite a moment!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    I don't know them that well but I know how big they were and that it was well-deserved. 

I did listen to the last record Man Machine Poem when it came out - that's a really great record.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    Nice to see some interest on here for them. I started on Road Apples more or less when it came out due to a happenstance of cheap/good sleeve in a record shop.

I've never been to Canada but my other half lived there for three years. I introduced her to their music.
    I also used to see them whenever I got the chance, one particular gig in Hammersmith was spellbinding.

I've got most of their stuff nowadays, I dug some out and had a binge a few days ago. I still love it.
    Gord was heroic during his fatal illness, massive respect indeed.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 684
    That time on Saturday Night Live

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Litterick said:
    That time on Saturday Night Live

That was great. Very chimey Les Paul sounds there too. 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    I never really got into them, but they influenced some of my favourite bands, so can't deny how massive they were in shaping the Canadian Music Scene.