How would you go about wiring this config on a Tele?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Just to clarify all I am looking for is to replace the traditional switch with a rotary switch in a standard tele control plate config/route with one of these:
    https://www.axesrus.co.uk/ARUROTSWI-p/aruswitchrotary.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Just to clarify all I am looking for is to replace the traditional switch with a rotary switch in a standard tele control plate config/route with one of these:
    Yeah, but… why? More/different sounds, or just to make it more difficult to knock by accident, or not conflict with the volume pot? It’s hard to advise how to wire it up if we don’t know what you want to do with it :).

Bear in mind that it may not easily fit in a standard Tele cavity, and won’t fit a commercial control plate properly either since the ones with a switch hole instead of a lever slot are designed for a 1/2” diameter toggle switch.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Just to clarify all I am looking for is to replace the traditional switch with a rotary switch in a standard tele control plate config/route with one of these:
    Yeah, but… why? More/different sounds, or just to make it more difficult to knock by accident, or not conflict with the volume pot? It’s hard to advise how to wire it up if we don’t know what you want to do with it :).

Bear in mind that it may not easily fit in a standard Tele cavity, and won’t fit a commercial control plate properly either since the ones with a switch hole instead of a lever slot are designed for a 1/2” diameter toggle switch.
    Why? I just want something different to my other t-types. Sound-wise, no different to a normal 3-way switch. Will I need a control plate with 3 CTS pot-sized holes?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Looking at the Axesrus technical drawing, unless you bend some of its terminals through 90°, their rotary switch measures 35 x 35 x 30mm.

The control cavity in a regular solidbody Telecaster is 27mm wide. 

The RS and CRL rotary switch designs measure 25 x 25mm by however tall/deep your choice of wafers makes it. Both are intended to be fastened through something solid using washers and a hex nut. They lack the fastening screws of the Axesrus part.

Smaller rotary selector switches exist. Pedal builders and people like my CB radio enthusiast friend will know what is available and where to get it. This is more ICBM's realm than mine. 

The Vari-Tone switch in an Epiphone BB King Lucille model guitar is a good bit more compact than the part used in Gibson ES-345 and -355 guitars. The caveat is that it is noticeably less robust.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Doesn't the squier 51 have a rotary switch in a standard tele control route?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    Yes but it is a cheap POS that rotates through the full 360° indefinitely. No end stops!

Actually, that might have been the more expensive Fender (Japan) Pawnshop '51 model. 

I almost bought the Japanese version. It was the rotary selector and absence of a tone control that always put me off. The neck profile and the Texas Special pickup were wonderful. To my ears, the humbucker was harsh, overblown rubbish. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494

Why? I just want something different to my other t-types. Sound-wise, no different to a normal 3-way switch. Will I need a control plate with 3 CTS pot-sized holes?
    The rotary you linked has an 8mm bushing, from memory - it will fit a 3/8” hole with a couple of washers though. The plastic-bodied type Funkfingers suggested has a 3/8” bushing.

If you just want something different I would suggest using a toggle - it will fit both the plate and the cavity, and doesn’t conflict with the volume control. (Although personally I can’t use them either! Since they’re right in the ‘knock while strumming’ zone.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein