The trouble with trading things online...

What's Hot
littlethoughtslittlethoughts Frets: 649
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
The number of messages you get along the lines of:

I see that you said you would consider part exchanges for a PRS for your (£600 average used price) guitar. I've got a PRS SE (one of the old ones). These cost over £600 new so do you want to do a straight swap? I've even upgraded the pickups to entwistles...

you can either not give it the time of day because they are clearly delusional, or you can reply:

reply:
Hey man, thanks for the offer but after a quick look at completed listings on ebay I can see that these usually go for £200-£300 depending on year and condition, I'd be interested to do a part ex with cash my way though?

Followed by being accused of being a conman for pointing this out...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    Some people are delusional...  and there's nothing wrong with trying...    but it's a bit sad that it would get personal - a no is a no and they should start negotiating or leave it.   As soon deal looks too much like hard work then unless you are desperately looking for a rare item I would walk away and leave them to boil in their own weirdness.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is it too much to hope that if someone would've looked up the going rate for their guitar? There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying, but it is a waste of everyone's time by feigning ignorance of the actual prices things sell for...
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    tFB Trader
    I have a spongebob squarepants ukelele would you consider a straight swap? for that £660 average used price guitar?
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • thorpy6 said:
    I have a spongebob squarepants ukelele would you consider a straight swap? for that £660 average used price guitar?
    Is it really rare? I won't bother to google it, I'll take your word for it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HollowAxisHollowAxis Frets: 117
    edited November 2015
    Trading online for many years, and in many countries, and having a friend who does way way more than me... I have come to learn that MOST people are delusional.
    Just have to wait for a reasonable person to come along. 

Wading through the idiots and/or scammers to get there takes effort and petience :/
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I had a guy in Belgium offer me a £550 value Status bass in a straight swap for my £750 value Parker.  When I pointed out the difference in value it was pointed out to me that I had devalued it by putting 'unknown maker' Oil City pickups in it and also I should be grateful for the offer as Parker guitars are not that great and unpopular.

He could f**k right off!
  • The thing that grinds my gears is the old "upgrade" bollocks.

I've removed the Seymour Duncans and "upgraded" to Dimarzios so I've added £200 value.

Yes - but you've also removed the value of the Seymours first. Net value change = nil.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah but if you don't ask you don't get, if the boots on the other foot and its a yes you'd be happy as Larry
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Yeah but if you don't ask you don't get, if the boots on the other foot and its a yes you'd be happy as Larry
    If the boot was on the other foot I wouldn't lie about my guitars value in the first place :)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28098
    Yeah but if you don't ask you don't get, if the boots on the other foot and its a yes you'd be happy as Larry
    What deal did Larry offer?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    I've got a cousin called Larry and he's always been a miserable cunt
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    harpo said:
    I've got a cousin called Larry and he's always been a miserable cunt

I'd be as miserable as fuck if those two fuck wanks had called me Larry. "And on rhythm/lead we have LARRY...." Nay chance of a spontaneous "Just put it in me!!!" in the toilets.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • fretmeister;361687" said:
    The thing that grinds my gears is the old "upgrade" bollocks.

I've removed the Seymour Duncans and "upgraded" to Dimarzios so I've added £200 value.

Yes - but you've also removed the value of the Seymours first. Net value change = nil.
    There was a guy on basschat trying to sell something that he'd refinished (mediocre job) and reshaped (dubious job) for almost twice what absolutely pristine versions of the same thing were going for. I think the for sale thread had about 18 bumps from him and no comments from anyone else!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17946
    tFB Trader
    It's the ones that say "This guitar cost me £500 new and I've spent £200 upgrading it so I think £600 is fair" that make me chuckle.