Ozzy retires from touring

What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
edited February 2023 in Music
https://twitter.com/OzzyOsbourne/status/1620678367812124672

His back injuries are too great.

I'm glad I got to see him and Sabbath live back in 1998 when he was in pretty good shape.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2457
    Sad to hear but I don't know why he didn't just announce this immediately he pulled out of the Priest tour.

I'm all for optimism but given his age and how fucked his body already was, there wasn't much chance of the situation getting any better.

Enjoy your retirement Oz, you deserve it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    Poor old bean
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s impressive that he has toured for as long as he has, particularly after his quad bike accident and despite having Parkinson’s. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    I know we've debated before about musicians knowing when it's time to retire - if it ever is - but this seems a sensible decision.  I've always thought that Ozzy has held up better than most, remarkable given all the things he's done to himself over the years.  But he's got so many health issues now.  Time to take it easy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3099
    Gutted. I had tickets to see him this year after holding onto them for years. I also had tickets to see in in 2004 but he'd seriously injured himself on his quad bike. Sad I'll probably never get to see him perform now, though understandable
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    edited February 2023
    I'm sorry @Stevepage that is disappointing

I wish I'd seen Sabbath at Hyde Park BST. Gosh it was not even 8 years ago it was nearly 10

• I feel very grateful to have seen him when I was at the commonwealth games closing ceremony after only really getting into Sabbath in the last few years. He did really well there to be fair and sounded great however you could see it was hard work and I suspect adrenaline got him through it as much as anything.

I reckon he has earned a rest
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16081
    Just read that and not much of a fan TBH but I gotta hand it to him for his courage and commitment to regaining his strength for gigs. A brave soul indeed

Sit back OZ with yer feet up...you deserve it man
    tae be or not tae be
  • Wait, you mean the time I paid to see his last ever tour in 1994, it wasnt?!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m gutted for him as it must be hard to give it up. Gutted for myself as I also had tickets :(
  • I'm sad, but not surprised. 

He's had a great career both solo and with Sabbath and deserves to be able to hang it up. 

I saw Sabbath at Download in 2005. They were great, but he seemed frail then. I'm amazed he's kept at it for the intervening years.
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 796

I'm glad I got to see him and Sabbath live back in 1998 when he was in pretty good shape.
    I saw them in '78 and ozzy was fucked then ! My first gig ( i was 13) so i loved it but my mates older bother's gang all agreed they weren't on form.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    I've never actually seen Ozzy live.  The only time I saw Sabbath was during the Dio years.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4696
    edited February 2023
    Saw Sabbath with Ozzy three times, I think.  The best was at Download 2012; they closed the festival and absolutely nailed it.  It was like they were saying, "right, we invented this; this is how it's done."

Then again at D(r)ownload 2016; Ozzy did his best to get the crowd going but everyone had been rained on for two days solid by that point and just wanted to stand there and watch them play.  Hard to jump around whin you're in six inches of mud.

Seriously, he's been doing this for over 50 years, now.  Enjoy your retirement, Ozzy.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb