P90 size pickups (sorted) for project & finishing question?

What's Hot
Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1550
edited February 2023 in Making & Modding
Hi all, one of these Rosser bodies on the way, and just wondering if you have any pickup suggestions. P90 pickup routes. Are there any that would jangle similar to a Jazzmaster? P90s have a bit of jangle anyhow. Options I think could be something like the TV Jones T90 or possibly mini humbucker / firebird size pickups that have a Ric flavour? Or a Jazzmaster flavour.
I will put a standard strat style neck on this.
Rosser-Body
As a total noob, any recommendations on how to finish this without using any special power tools etc, which I don't own.
Crimson guitar stain and finishing oil? Any other brands? Thinking of staining it as black as I can get it, then applying some kind of protective coat over that so it doesn't get easily dinged? Any advice there?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Staple P90s have more "jangle"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Staple P90s have more "jangle"
    That is true. Maybe I am overthinking it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    yeah, staple or dynasonic style would be fun
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    TBH, and I know this may sound a little controversial based on the shape of that body... but Firebird pickups. Genuinely... I love 'em and good ones sparkle like single coils.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    WezV said:
    staple or dynasonic style would be fun
    TV Jones offers its T-Armond model in a P90-sized housing.

Are there any that would jangle similar to a Jazzmaster?
    Do JMs jangle? Maybe, Sixties versions do a bit. My AV'65 has the darker, higher output Fifties versions.

The Creamery does some interesting variations on conventional pickup themes.

Gibson does a pickup that amounts to a P90 with six rod magnet polepieces. This might answer the brief.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • @impmann yep, I was thinking that, the route is a P90, so I'd just need the surrounds?
    Firebird and mini humbuckers sit within the perimeter of a soapbar P90 cover. The plastic cover then has to be attached to the rout floor. 

@SteveRobinson is probably the best person to explain how Gibson do this.
    WezV said:
    staple or dynasonic style would be fun
    TV Jones offers its T-Armond model in a P90-sized housing.

Mojo does some too.  For Dynasonic's he has a non adjustable version which would fit this without modification, and 2 adjustable versions that would likely require deeper routes. 

I haven't tried these, but  he did make me a non-adjustable Dyna style pickup to fit a P-90 cover before they were an option.

I don't think you will find a wider range of designs built around the P-90 format
    https://www.mojopickups.co.uk/product-category/pickups/p90/
    edited February 2023
    Firebird and mini humbuckers sit within the perimeter of a soapbar P90 cover. The plastic cover then has to be attached to the rout floor. 

The traditional way is with a bracket.   the whole pickup and ring assembly moves together when adjusting, so the pickup feet need a larger hole so the screw passes right through.  A nut soldered onto the screws sets the height of the pickup within the ring

You can now buy these covers with screws in 2 of the corners which make life much easier and act like a normal ring

• Thanks folks. Hopefully something that is drop in will be what I will go for. P90s aesthetically might go better with the JM bridge, but as it is a reverse firebird, the firebird style pickups might be the best option! Plus I have never had a guitar with FB pickups.
    if you go for firebird/mini hums you have the option of traditional metal firebird rings, the p-90 style rings show above, or the lesser spotted Epiphone style mini hum rings.  Between those you should be able to get something that ties in aesthetically with the trem and your other aesthetic choices

epiphone style

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader

Wez has said everything I think.

Here are Firebird pickups in mini-humbucker rings. 

They're attached using Gibson brackets which work with P-90s and mini-humbuckers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you, Wez and Steve. Your pictures speak far more loudly than my words.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks again for the info folks !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    WezV said:

You can now buy these covers with screws in 2 of the corners which make life much easier and act like a normal ring

I’ve seen those before - I really don’t understand why they don’t make them properly with four mounting screws, they look odd with only two. Drilling another two holes probably won't work if the top of the ring is too thin in the other corners.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Where the Wilkinson mini humbucker surrounds lose out are:

1) Height/depth
    They do not ride up and down with the pickup the way that the Gibson type does. This means that they might be too short to protrude enough from some routed cavities.

2) Mounting screw location.
    The screw in the (let's call it) bottom right hand corner of the ring wants to bite into the bridge/Treble pickup cavity floor almost exactly where the all of the pickup and switch cables pass to/from the control cavity on a Les Paul.
    edited February 2023
    You can mount them with p90 screws and springs to get the ring height you want, then further adjust the pickup from there.  You can also use black screws if you want it more hidden 

I do prefer the look of a traditional ring, but prefer the practicality of these
  • It’s been a few years but from memory the Gibson mounting brackets are/were a nightmare to obtain. I can’t remember if I was ever successful, feel like I bodged together an alternative. 
  • ok, so DON’T get the wilkinson mounting rings right?
    Why not?