SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB Gibson L4 (pref. 1950s)

What's Hot
Very long shot but after playing one of these in the US recently, and it being too difficult to get it home, I have a hankering for one. 

Any archtop fans have one squirrelled away somewhere?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8947
    @DB1 @danishbacon sounds like your sort of territory…
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • greejngreejn Frets: 133
    Yes, I have one squirrelled away, not sure which year, I'll have a look...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Sadly not.  I sold my last 50's Gibson a few weeks ago (a beautiful ES-350) and none on the horizon for the foreseeable!
    Call me Dave.
  • Mine’s an early 2000s one :)
  • Thanks all! On tenterhooks for the response from @greejn. I'd love a 2000s one @danishbacon (still have your Broadway BTW) but I have to restrict myself to vintage these days. Was very close to buying that ES350 from you last year @DB1 but just couldn't make it work at the time...
  • Thanks all! On tenterhooks for the response from @greejn. I'd love a 2000s one @danishbacon (still have your Broadway BTW) but I have to restrict myself to vintage these days. Was very close to buying that ES350 from you last year @DB1 but just couldn't make it work at the time...
    I've not tried an old L-4 before, but @Oncidium, who I got my L4 from (via @EvansDrD), has an old L-4 of some sort.

There have been a few up for sale on one of the jazz guitar groups, so worth keeping an eye out there or posting a WTB.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lesyeuxnoirslesyeuxnoirs Frets: 114
    edited February 2023
    I am 100% here for this thread - waiting to see what @greejn turns up 

If that doesn't work out...that loved and lovely chap from Essex Recording Studios is selling a lovely looking (genuinely) L4CES over on fleabay for a very reasonable and realistic £10K (having bought the very same guitar from the GH auction for c.1/3 of that price + fees)
    Formerly known as EvansDrD
  • I have a 1956 es-175 if of interest I am selling.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • greejngreejn Frets: 133
    It's a 1948, natural finish. Plays well, but will need a refret at some point. Frets are OK, but very low. Original (?) Lifton case. Charlie Christian pickup installed, most likely by Knight guitars, the full fat version with the bars inside the guitar. Difficult to value, fire away!
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PM'd!
  • Looks like this is sorted, or at least will be very shortly - thanks Fretboard! This is why this community is so great, thanks to everyone who posted and got involved - amazingly quick responses.

Will work out how to donate some money...
  • Excellent news!
    Formerly known as EvansDrD
  • Congrats :) and photos please once done!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 539
    I love it when a plan comes together.  Congrats and NGD photos plz