Grounding Issue?

What's Hot
Hello
I've a new Fender 70s Vintera Deluxe Telecaster (twin HBs and 2x vol & tone) that has a fair bit of buzzing that will go away when I touch any part of the guitar except the pickup selector. When I touch this is becomes much louder. All my other guitars are fine.

Any thoughts on where to start looking 1st?

Thanks
Don't let your mind post toastee - like a lot of my friends did!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    It sounds like you need to earth the body of the switch.

While you are at it you could replace the wire from switch to jack with some screened cable, I don't know why Fender don't do this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494

I've a new Fender 70s Vintera Deluxe Telecaster (twin HBs and 2x vol & tone) that has a fair bit of buzzing that will go away when I touch any part of the guitar except the pickup selector. When I touch this is becomes much louder. All my other guitars are fine.

Any thoughts on where to start looking 1st?
    It's a shielding issue. These are very poorly shielded, in particular the long wiring run to and from the switch is completely unshielded (at least if it's like the previous version of this model). It also sounds like the switch frame is not grounded.

I would replace the whole thing with a piece of 4-conductor cable, using the 4th core to double the shield connection between the neck volume pot and the switch frame, and probably join it to a piece of single-core shielded cable to the jack rather than leaving the last few inches of one core unshielded - or if that's a faff, keep the 4th core separate at the controls end and twist that along with the output core to the jack.

Does that make sense?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15276
    SteveRobinson said:
    I don't know why Fender don't do this.
    I do. To save time and, hence, money.

Look at Fender's aftermarket pickup and scratchplate assemblies. They can not even be arsed to twist the pickup conductors together for a little bit of extra hum rejection.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom