Magnetic cavity cover

What's Hot
I'm thinking of doing a magnetic cavity cover.

I'm thinking this:

1. Get some small cylinder neo magnets.
2. Drill a hole in the cavity.
3. Super glue the neo magnet into the hole.
4. Allowing a recess for another magnet in the drilled hole.
5. Super glue another neo magnet onto the cavity cover opposite the other magnet.
6. The cover magnet should fit into the recessed hole and attach to the other neo magnet.

Job done, or have I over simplified this?
"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Job done, in a slightly simplified way
    :D

You need to be able to get the magnet positions lined up perfectly, on the underside of the cavity cover against the recess in the cavity wall.

You also need the magnets not to be so strong that magnetic strength overcomes the glue strength.

And don’t forget to leave a little recess somewhere around the edge of the cover, so you can get a finger (other tools are available) under the cover to lever it off.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That's basically how I did it recently - here's some photos from my build

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3426662/#Comment_3426662

I just used a paper template and an awl to get them lined up in the same place

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The Ibanez Pia takes a different approach:

Metal cavity cover...cavity recess is lined with 'fridge magnet' material...you don't need a lot of magnetic strength due to all that surface area!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I would use steel plates on the cover not magnets, or you may need a lever to get it off.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    I use 0.5mm magnets, and find they aren’t too strong. If the cover does get stuck in place (ask me how I know) you can remove one of the pots, and push the cover off with a pencil/dowel/chop stick.

One thing to watch is that you get the magnets the right way round, otherwise they’ll push the cover off rather than holding it in place.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 806
    I've drilled two holes in the cavity and super glued in the neo magnets leaving a recess for the top cover magnet. I'll wait until tomorrow until the super glue has really cured.

Thanks for all the great responses. :)
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom