Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Steve Albini roasting Steely Dan - turns out he's not a fan...

What's Hot
CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1440
Steve Albini hates Steely Dan: "Christ, the amount of human effort wasted to sound like an SNL band warm up" | MusicRadar

some zingers in there.
I particularly enjoyed 
"music made for the sole purpose of letting the wedding band stretch out a little."

but the quip about the "jazz dork hands" runs it a close second.

I look forward to Donald Fagen's retort.
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17917
    tFB Trader
    I like Steely Dan, but "music made for the sole purpose of letting the wedding band stretch out a little." is perfect. 

My wife hates them for all the same reasons she will love this.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    I have to admit to hating them for decades and now quite liking them, but I completely agree with him about why :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    ICBM said:
    I have to admit to hating them for decades and now quite liking them, but I completely agree with him about why :).
    I have become what you might call Dan-curious lately too. But in small, controlled doses
  • I like Steely Dan, but "music made for the sole purpose of letting the wedding band stretch out a little." is perfect.
    It's a nail on head put-down, but for all that I like Steely Dan's music more than anything I've heard by Albini. 
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • I really like some of the Dan stuff, but Steve is right as usual.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    I watched a TV programme about Steely Dan and it was telling me how great they were, how the two blokes were masters of their art and pure genius.
    That was all great, but the problem for me was that it just sounded like disco elevator music.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2394
    prowla said:
    I watched a TV programme about Steely Dan and it was telling me how great they were, how the two blokes were masters of their art and pure genius.
    That was all great, but the problem for me was that it just sounded like disco elevator music.
    I used to hate Steely Dan but now I love them. If I play some Dan, Mrs Keefy immediately says ‘elevator music’!
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1565
    edited February 2023
    This shakes my entire world view. Steve Albini - that Steve Albini  - is not fond of Steely Dan music?! I my need a sit down and a stiff drink...

He's got quite the way with words, doesn't he?

Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5010
    Keefy said:
    prowla said:
    I used to hate Steely Dan but now I love them. If I play some Dan, Mrs Keefy immediately says ‘elevator music’!
    I don’t hate them; I’m just indifferent!
    The Mrs has clocked it right, though. :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    I guess I'm more like than dislike, although I only know the "hits".... but that's pretty funny.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    prowla said:
    It’s not the music that put me off so much - it’s them. The self-congratulatory pretentiousness of what they said about their music and arrogance about other musicians who they considered inferior just really grated on me.

They also seem to be worshipped by anyone who plays the sort of music I *really* detest - that smug jazz-funk wankery where they can’t help smiling at how unbelievably clever they are - which doesn’t endear them to me.

But I do actually quite like their music.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    edited February 2023
    I agree with him entirely.  Same for Phish. Urgh

And it's all due for a revival because the 90s are in and that means TERRIBLE COD-JAZZ MUSIC-SCHOOL JAM BANDS 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1289
    Middle aged punk claims he still doesn’t like stuff that came out before punk came along. 

Shock headline.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 887
    The Minutemen covered 'Dr Wu' on "Double Nickels..." so not *all* punks hate The Dan.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10915

And it's all due for a revival because the 90s are in and that means TERRIBLE JAZZY MUSIC-SCHOOL JAM BANDS 
    This is not that but your comment reminded me of it

• ICBM said:
    prowla said:
    It’s not the music that put me off so much - it’s them. The self-congratulatory pretentiousness of what they said about their music and arrogance about other musicians who they considered inferior just really grated on me.

They also seem to be worshipped by anyone who plays the sort of music I *really* detest - that smug jazz-funk wankery where they can’t help smiling at how unbelievably clever they are - which doesn’t endear them to me.

But I do actually quite like their music.

Fagen on Bitches Brew:

"Rock and jazz musician Donald Fagen criticized the album as "essentially just a big trash-out for Miles ... To me it was just silly, and out of tune, and bad. I couldn't listen to it. It sounded like [Davis] was trying for a funk record, and just picked the wrong guys. They didn't understand how to play funk. They weren't steady enough."

• roberty said:

And it's all due for a revival because the 90s are in and that means TERRIBLE JAZZY MUSIC-SCHOOL JAM BANDS 
    This is not that but your comment reminded me of it

That's the stuff. I honestly have no clue if it's meant to be parody or not and that makes me feel very uncomfortable
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5518
    edited February 2023
    Love “The Dan” but that was still hilarious. Loads of cool current musicians coming out to defend them as well which made him look kind of equally out of touch. I think it was all good-spirited. 

Anyway on one hand Steely Dan is one of my favourite bands, on the other hand Steve Albini has produced/recorded at least a couple of my favourite albums by other artists... for some reason I can easily reconcile this because I am a grownup!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Although I found his comments quite amusing, the reference to "the not-bald one" grated a little.  He knows what their names are.  I find wilful - or pretend - ignorance annoying.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    edited February 2023
    Amazing band that have written incredible iconic songs, which feature some of the all time classic guitar solos, gets dissed by some bloke I've never heard of. I'll pass thanks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom