I want a Stewmac fret kisser!

What's Hot
well ..... I did until I saw the pricetag ....

I've never seen them before, it's for levelling a single fret and you can do it without taking the strings off. People on one of the Facebook guitar groups I'm on seem to think that it's very useful, if rather expensive.

Yours for $132.29 plus all the usual import and delivery charges.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8092

I use a sanding stick for sanding small imperfections - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Excel-55700-Sanding-Stick/dp/B0019N4TPY 

httpsmmedia-amazoncomimagesI71sHagAO8IL_AC_SX569_jpg

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I use an Elegant Touch Nail Emery Board from Sainsburys - £1.75p for two  :)

• WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    the fret kisser is dual purpose, it's a fret rocker and a fret leveller.... it both finds the high spot, and then levels it off.

personally, I rarely find myself just spot leveling one fret, even when there is one a fret rocker has found to be high.... i would much rather fully level a good portion of the board, if not the whole thing.  But I can see how this could be a useful tool for a tech toolkit to get things playable in a pinch
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    Everything about the StewMac range of tools is centred on accuracy, speed and profitability, and it's summed up in their description of the "Fret Kisser":

"Now you can do accurate and cost effective fretwork quickly! You don't even need to remove the strings.  The Fret Kisser spot levels high frets in an instant. What was a several hour job can be done in no time at all, you only file exactly where it's needed."

I've never seen their gizmo before.  I'm surprised they haven't tacked on "...omatic" to the name.  In looking at it I realise  that I've been doing much the same thing with an improvised tool for years.  I have a couple of lengths of thick stainless steel that I cut from the end of an old straightedge.  I superglued two strips of emery paper to the edge by the abrasive side, leaving a narrow gap in the middle.  In the gap I superglued a strip of the same emery paper to the edge by its backing.  The outside strips are therefore spacers with the smooth side out and the middle abrasive section will flatten a fret until it is level with the frets either side.

You'd better snap it up while it's price is reduced:

...... or else just use a £15 fret rocker and head to Sainsbury for some of their "Elegant Touch Nail Emery Boards" as prescribed by @Andyjr1515
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom