What should I do with this?

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
edited September 2013 in Amps
I have a Johnson JT50 mirage digital modelling amplifier along with the floorboard. I got this in about 2000 and at that time it was pretty decent. In fact the sounds are still quite usable but I just never use it and it's sitting there taking up room in my house and gathering dust but is in perfect working order and is actually eminently giggable. Johnson is now defunct and I can't find any guidance for prices, even if someone actually wanted to buy it. I'm finding it hard to believe any serious musician would want it but I want to shift it so the space it takes up can be filled with a Jet City cab and head.

What suggestions might people have for getting rid, but not junking it?

I'm thinking of one of the following routes:
  • Find a local music teacher and ask if any of his pupils want to take it off my hands cheap
  • Donate to a local music-related charity/non-profit
  • Offer it as a prize to local student guitarists in some form of music-related competition

Any other thoughts? I'm looking at gifting it; I don't really ned the money and I'd rather someone gets some guitar-related use out of it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    Sell it on eBay and donate the money to a charity?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Talk to any school, they always want stuff, plus you know you could be starting the next big things career !
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72516
    edited September 2013
    I wouldn't give it to a school - it's too complicated and will get trashed too easily. For what it's worth I've just repaired more than a dozen amps for a school, and they'd even managed to break a Peavey Bandit... (Although being a Peavey, it was easily repairable.) Similar will happen with music charities if they're actually going to use it themselves.

I'd give it a to a guitar teacher - if it has a wide range of sounds it's probably ideal for teaching, or to sell/give to a pupil - or offer it as a prize.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• The trouble with giving an amp away to any kinds in institution, is that it will need to be PAT tested. Which may well be an expense they can't afford.
  • I used to have the Johnson J-Station which the 'brains' of this would have been based on, some pretty okay-sounding models in there. If you're anywhere near Birmingham I might be able to get it PAT tested for you on the sly...