Recommendation for oil/lacquer/wax that doesn't colour wood

What's Hot
Hi,

We've recently salvaged some very old pine timber and had it made into a bathroom vanity unit.

We'd like to seal it (for obvious reasons) but not change the colour of the wood. We've tried Osmo oil, but the wood has gone yellow/orange.

Can anyone recommend something else please?

Thanks,

Ben
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 9129
    There’s a version of Osmo which has a white content. @Andyjr1515 used it on a white bass project. I’ve had a similar problem with wood turning, and have been experimenting with Acrylic lacquer. Nine months in and it’s held it’s colour, but I expect that it will inevitably darken with age.

Raw Sycamore:

Sycamore with Acrylic lacquer:

Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Roland said:
    There’s a version of Osmo which has a white content. @Andyjr1515 used it on a white bass project. 

Yes - it's Osmo 3044 RAW.  It is designed to try to retain the 'fresh sanded' look rather than darken as pretty much all woods do when dampened and/or clear finished.  I've used it a number of times, but the first time I did so, @bennyg85 , was to do just that - to avoid the yellowing effect of most finishes when applied to light woods such as maple/sycamore/etc..

This is what happened when I applied a 'standard' clear finish.  The fretboard is maple, the body is sycamore:

NOT at all what I was after.

This was with Osmo 3044 RAW:

And 6 years later, it still looks like this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    Gunstock Oil can be had unstained

• sweepy said:
    Gunstock Oil can be had unstained

Yes indeed...but the wood will still tend to darken (actually to its more natural colour rather than the fully-dried, sanded look).  The orangy pic above was also using an unstained finish.  The Osmo RAW contains a subtle whitener that counteracts the natural yellowing/darkening that wood goes when it is either dampened or clear-finished.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    Another vote for the OSMO RAW from me.

Co-incidentally, I've just applied a coat to a guitar that's getting a refin.

A little of it goes a long way ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Thanks for the recommendation. In the shopping basket it goes! Will report back.