Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do DJs like Tiesto, Van Buuren, etc actually do on stage ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
edited September 2014 in Off Topic
I quite like a bit of trance now and again, and I'm sure some of you remember my old 'DJ Worship' rant thread, but I was just watching some Tiesto and wondered what it is that they actually do up there at these huge festival gigs ?

The implication seems to be that they are creating the music live (which of course they aren't).  I wonder how many of the audience believe that the DJ is creating it ?  But.... what are they actually doing ?  I'm presuming they are not playing recordings of music they have written and played themselves, but that of other artists (that go uncredited it appears), and the DJ is just creating a mashup of other people's material, live.

But - it makes no sense to do it all live - it would make far more sense to do all the mixing beforehand and create a final track to just play at the venue.  If this is the case, aside from pressing 'Play', what exactly are the DJs doing up there, besides dancing ?  Is the routine with the headphones and constant dial twiddling just a facade ?

Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't get it either, obviously they have technical skills and I appreciate some of the finished products eg: Fatboy Slim - Rockefeller Skank etc. I don't know if people go just to listen to the "genre" of music or whether the DJ actually adds his own "magic" to it.

My vision of it might be all Pete Tong though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3535
    Bad DJs - bring a mix to the venue and just mix the levels onstage, slow it down, speed it up, pause it, etc
    Good DJs - bring a big bag of VYNIL to the venue taking into account the type of night it will be, the crowd, the soundsystem, etc. Onstage they will pick the records on the fly depending what the mood is, who's on the dancefloor, the energy level, how crowded it is and so on. Everything is mixed on the fly so the beat never drops.

Source: was friends for 6+ years with some top DJs in Lisbon and used to go out with them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dj 1: You want to see the new film at the cinema?

DJ 2: Depends. Who is the projectionist?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think they must feed off the crowd a bit, knowing when to "drop the beat" as they say.
    My V key is broken
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24732
    So no ideas as to what they do then ?

• Emp_Fab said:

Lead the crowd and give them a focal point. The atmosphere is better that way rather than having an iPod on shuffle hooked up to a PA.
    Oh I get that....  the focal point aspect is a given - I was just referring to what they actually do with the equipment in front of them.  i.e.  is all the button pressing and mixer tweaking etc just fakery.

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Not a lot
  • littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yes as I suspected DJ Dave is a bellend
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    I genuinely don't know, but I don't care either. I like the music mostly, and since it's clearly not all played live, why worry about how much of it might be or might not? Even if all the DJ does is press play and lark about, for some reason I find it less annoying than bands who pretend to play entirely live but actually rely on programmed stuff and/or off-stage musicians.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GassageGassage Frets: 31262
    Don't mock. The crowd go wild when Aviiiiiiciiiiii puts his hand in the air in a symbolic fashion.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have no idea on any of this really, but my god you know when it's wrong. I was in a bar recently and they had a DJ who looked the part but wasn't syncing beats, so while everything was at the right bpm it all sounded horrendous. An iPod on shuffle would've genuinely been better.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    Some do more than others, but in either case the vast majority is done offstage, beforehand, creating / mixing the music. Onstage they choose songs to manage and lift the crowd, control levels, get the crowd going with judicious comments. They are great entertainers when they do it well.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Emp_Fab said:
    Did you even read what I wrote?
    Emp_Fab said:
    Did you even read what I asked ?

• I assume some DJs use Ableton, which means they can change arrangements and length of tracks constantly during a performance. To be fair, you could learn to do this in 30 minutes, so it's just adding more detail to the DJ's tools for trying to manage a dancefloor
    The world does need DJs, but the worship they get seems bizarre to me, unless they actually create tracks themselves
    Emp_Fab;363726" said:
    georgenadaintl said:

Emp_Fab said:

Did you even read what I asked ?
    I replied to it. What a DJ does is the same whether festival or club. Source: my aforementioned friends.
  • I watched that series about celebs learning instruments. One of them was a female club dj IIRC and she seemed to spend her day working on the running order of tracks and then playing the vinyl in the club. The difference between that and what my brother was doing with his mobile disco playing weddings 30 years ago seemed pretty tiny.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.