SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Strange Reverb buying experience

What's Hot
richierichie Frets: 90
edited February 2023 in Guitars £
So not technically a classified but I’d like to undertand from the board if this is coincidence or a new phenomenon on Reverb. 

Last week a guitar I’d not seen before was listed, gorgeous turquoisey double bound heavy relic tele at £3000. I liked and watched it for a couple of days and saw 5 offers made, then the price was dropped to £2800 and I decided to buy figuring it would be an easy onward sell for minimal loss if it wasn’t for me. All went through ok, messaged the seller and… nothing. I waited 3 days, still nothing. Was waiting until today which is the 3rd business day before requesting a refund, but yesterday the refund was automatically issued, no comms at all. Fair enough, I guessed the seller was negotiating offline with someone else but if I were Reverb that would have red flags all over it. 

But the weird thing was on Thursday I bought a reasonably priced used strymon nightsky from a different seller and exactly the same thing has happened. No response to messages, both sellers have good ratings, automatic refunds issued after a couple of days. Any thoughts on whats going on? I am hesitant to buy anything again from there but never had issues before.

Cheers
Rich
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NightswanNightswan Frets: 1525
    If they were advertised on multiple platforms they could have sold on those or got higher offers. Either way...it's bad form not to close your other ads immediately. Sorry to hear this happened to you. As a buyer once a refund is issued there's not much you can do. In my experience you can't even leave feedback once the refund has been reissued which is total BS!!
  • richierichie Frets: 90
    Yeah agreed thats so weird, you can’t leave feedback on sellers who have accepted four figure offers then pull out, with no comms, doesn’t get much less reliable. In the end I am happy as I unexpectedly ended up being the only bidder in the sunset macon auction on ebay, but I’d be pissed otherwise. 
  • That Macon is absolutely gorgeous.  

So whilst that is really bad behaviour on reverb, it feels like you can at least move on from the experience feeling OK about it. 

Anyway, weren't you supposed to be shrinking the pedal board, not adding to it? =)
  • richierichie Frets: 90
    Yes….. this will all change again in a few weeks no doubt 
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 178
    edited February 2023
    Reverb is such a minefield.
  • I’ve had this before when advertising on multiple platforms. I’d obviously write the person a profuse apology, but some people just aren’t very nice.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom